Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato blooms opening early

Posted by new_b_gardener none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 12 at 15:50

My tomato blooms are opening very early. The blooms are tiny and there is no flowers inside them. I am not sure what is going on. I have them inside 5 gallon buckets. There are tomatoes on them already, and the plants look healthy except for a small leaf miner problem ( tried picking the bad leaves off but they are still coming back). I am not sure what the problem is or if there is a problem. The plant is about four feet tall right now. I have about 10 developing fruits on it. Has anyone had this problem before? Can someone give me a bit of help figuring this out? The type of tomatoes are Chocolate Cherry. I have never heard of this before, but this was what was one the little tag the lady i bought from had on it. I new to growing tomatoes, so I am not sure of anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I forgot to add that there looks like possibly a tiny bloom growing in it, but not really sure at this time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato blooms opening early

What zone/area are you in?

What makes you say they are opening early? If there are tomatoes on the plant, the blooms are doing what they're supposed to be doing. :)

Is it possible that what you're seeing is the flowers that the petals have already dropped off & a tiny tomato is developing? A picture might be helpful.

o

I am in zone 8a. No it's not Flowers that have fallen of. These are new blooms that have just recently started to show. I know what you are talking about with the pollinated flowers, but this is not the case. I have taken a picture to show you what I mean. If you notice the one on the side has opened without a flower and the tiny bloom behind the bloom with flower is starting to open.

o

Here is an update:

I went to examine the blooms further and noticed there are tomatoes in them. One thing I am sure of is I never saw any flowers in them. Can tomatoes form without flowers?

o

I'm not sure I understand exactly what your question is but what I see in the picture looks perfectly normal. Have you examined the plant closely for any pest activity? Thrips, for example, will sometimes snip off blooms but then so will birds.

Not all blooms will open at the same time but sepals can extend (open) due to all sorts of things like air temps insufficient moisture, etc. Not all blooms will be pollinated, and not all blooms will develop into a tomato. Variety genetics, weather, available nutrients, moisture levels and 100 other variables can all have some effects.

If there is no sign of pests (I do note some missing leaves) and no signs of disease issues then I really don't see anything to be concerned about.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Dave

o
RE: more

Can tomatoes form without flowers?

No. Either you just didn't see them or what you are seeing is just the green ovule left when the petals fell off, not a tomato.

Either way it is normal.

Dave

o

Well for pest i found 2 types. Leaf miners and some type of worm that makes a cocoon in a folded leaf. Those are the only two I have seen.

o

Keep a better eye on them and you will see whats going on

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here