Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long can they stay on the vine?

Posted by Zinderin 10 - California (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 11 at 16:01

Sorry guys, I'm just not putting the search string together correctly if this question has been asked here before (actually, I couldn't get it through a Google web search either).

I am growing Ferry and Morse Beefmaster Hybrids that I grew from seed, starting back in February and transplanted in March. I have tomatoes starting to ripen (turn all red) ... thus the question;

Once the tomato ripens (all the green is gone) on the vine, how long before you HAVE to pick it? I don't want to pick it before I use it, but I don't want it to rot on the vine either.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long can they stay on the vine?

Many of pick at blush/color break and let the fruit finish ripening indoors. You'll find many discussions here about the advantages of this. That way you avoid the loss of the fruit to pests or weather, splitting, or rotting.

Once the fruit has turned fully red on the vine it will begin to decline quickly. Indeed once it is fully red on the outside, the center of the fruit has already begun to go over-ripe. How quickly depends on many factors. So to avoid fruit loss it is best to pick before it is fully red/ripe.

Nothing is gained by leaving it on the vine and much can be lost.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here