Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting container tomato into ground?

Posted by alexshrugged 10 (Sunset Zone 23) (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 13, 12 at 16:04

I have a Black Sea Man plant growing in a 5 gal pot which (not for lack of trying) looked doomed. I was trying to grow all organically, and it wasn't working in the small pot. I thought it was diseased or dead, and was ready to throw it out, but then I used some MG fertilizer on it, and it miraculously came back to life (pun intended). Problem is, it's top heavy -- the bottom is still pretty bare and sad, and the top is lush and happy, and already loaded with a couple tomatoes.

All my in-ground tomatoes (grown organically) are doing amazingly, and I think I can make room for one more. I'd love to move this one into the ground, since I seem to have a greener thumb there than in pots. Also, I thought I could plant it really deep, since the bottom half of the plant looks kind of leggy and sad anyway.

Problem is, it already has tomatoes on it. I'm worried that if I transplant now, it'll drop the tomatoes and blossoms it already has, and I risk losing a substantial portion of the harvest, especially since it is a Determinate plant.

I'm really new to gardening (as in, this is the first year I've picked up a spade), so I'd love any advice on what to do!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting container tomato into ground?

I have never done it with a black sea man. But I very carefully transplanted a really big better boy from a 5 gallon bucket, with fruit, to the garden this year. It never lost a single one and is doing very good.

I let it get very dry so that I could get it out without losing the soil around it. I dug a 5 gallon hole, set it in, covered and watered very good for the next few days.

o
RE: Transplanting container tomato into ground?

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 15, 12 at 11:31

This year I had fruit plus a 2nd set of blossoms already on an Early Girl & it transplanted just fine last month even with our cool weather in WA state. Now have 2 more sets of blossoms and those fruits are growing nicely.

Try trench planting it. Dig your hole at an angle big enough for the bucket to fit. Test it using another bucket. I usually do about 45 degrees, but do whatever angle works for fitting in another plant in your space.

Amend the hole with what is recommended in your area. Here we add a handful of calcium carbonate and bonemeal and about 1/2 cup complete organic fertilizer & mix up.

Use a scissor to remove the lower leaves up to the fruiting leaves. Be sure the fruiting leaves won't be touching the soil when planted.

Water with warm water only for the 1st week or so.

This has worked for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here