Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomahtohs

Mushrooms near my prized plant - Should I be worried?

tomahtohs
10 years ago

Hey, all!

So I have a healthy plant growing in a half-wine barrel in our front yard. The location in which it stands gets about 6 hours of sun a day. This is usually enough to dry it out nicely after a rain, but in the last few days we've just gotten Slammed by storm after storm. (we've picked up about 6 inches of rain in two days)

As a result, the barrel hasn't had a good chance to dry off in about four days. This morning, I noticed some nicely developed mushrooms popping up at the very edge of the barrel. This is about a foot away from the main stem of the plant. I know that fungus usually doesn't mix with tomato plants, but I'm not sure if these 'shrooms pose a threat since they're not actually touching the plant in any way.

I'm also a little nervous to move them, as I definitely do not want to unwittingly spread spores from them in the process and hurt my plant. The mushrooms are about an inch wide at the cap, and are a lovely reddish brown color, if that matters at all. Any suggestions on what to do?

Comments (2)