Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djkj_gw

Growing tomatoes in containers - Tips/Advice

djkj
9 years ago

A nice video showing collection of tips for growing tomatoes in containers. One thing which I wanted to ask you tomato growers was whether drip irrigation is the right way to water container tomatoes...and if so how long? Is there a better (automated, not manual) way?

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld-v4zFAWP0

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Tomatoes In Containers

Comments (4)

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

There are all sorts of 'right' ways to water but i see three advantages with drip. One, it's stingy with water in an expensive water area. Two, it's likely more reliable than manual watering. Three, it's adjustable in reliable increments if you need to modify watering amounts. There are negatives too, like ugliness and cost.

• fireduck
    9 years ago

Drip systems on a timer might be OK if you are gone. However, those "systems" make a person delinquent on checking their plants daily and monitoring water, food, etc. Drips are more water-wise...but cost money initially. It can be done...for sure.

• djkj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think what I like about automated watering like drip/micro sprinklers is that I can water them at say 8:30 am every day (while I am already off to work) and let the micro sprinklers work for 15 mins (waters about 6 inches deep) every 2 days (1 day when temps are high). So no watering needed in the evening so less slugs at night and less chances of getting fungus as the leaves are dry by afternoon/evening. I use evenings to check on the plants for insects/diseases.

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

It always bugs me when someone says èalways do thisè...