Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greengrass12

grass clippings

greengrass12
10 years ago

I get late blight every year and this year got early blight already. I just replaced my home grown toms with store bot. I would like to try grass mulch to see if I can keep plants free from any diseases splashing up from soil. I am aware of air borne blight but at the same time know that soil is already a problem.

I would very much like to hear ideas or especially experience in using grass as tom mulch. My biggest fear would be that the mulch mats and prevents liquid fert and rain from filtering thru.

Comments (7)

• Moorlord
    10 years ago

I don't know about matting but unless that grass is prepared right it will fill your garden with seed and you'll be pulling grass out for a while. I use straw which is the second cutting of wheat that has no seed in it. It works great at keeping mud off the plants and keeps the moisture levels very consistent (no matting). I put down about 6 inches and as a side benefit it helps to keep the weeds down. I buy my straw for about 2 bucks a bale and you have to make sure it wasn't treated with herbicides so as not to hurt your toms.

• qaguy
    10 years ago

I've been using grass clippings for years as a cheap mulch.

Never had a problem with matting or grass growing
    out of the mulch. Of course, if the grass you use has
    gone to seed, you'll have that problem. But since my
    grass is mowed weekly, no problem there.

You can't use grass that's been treated with a weed-and-feed fertilizer.

I spread my grass in the beds liberally, making sure it's
    not big clumps but a light, fluffy layer.

If you don't get a chance to spread it right away, it will
    clump up and sometimes start to decompose. If that
    happens, spread the grass out on a driveway or patio
    or something like that to dry before you spread it around.

When the tomato season is done, dig that mulch into the
    ground. A good organic amendment for next year.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I am drying my grass clippings. I didn't want to use it as green because of the danger of composting and burnin the plants.

• monet_g
    10 years ago

I do as qaguy does and, also, have had good success using this method for years. It goes down fluffy and tends to, I guess you'd call it, mat, but hasn't been a problem. I put down 4 - 5 inches and once it compresses, it's about 2 or 3. Rain gets through fine.

I do keep the mulch out a few inches from the stems. When I fertilize, I pull back the mulch (just a bit), apply the fert and put the mulch back in place. I don't have many plants, though. If you have lots that would be a chore.

This post was edited by monet_g on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 9:27

• greengrass12
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for comments. How do you fertilize your plants after you lay grass mulch? Will liquid fert get thru muclch to plant?

• qaguy
    10 years ago

I fertilize normally. Water gets through whether it has
    fertilizer in it or not. Perhaps a bit might get caught up
    in the mulch, but since it's water soluble, it will get
    re-dissolved when you water.

I use the grass when it's green with no problems. You'd
    have to put down quite a thick layer to run into decomposition
    problems. A few inches is fine. Clippings dry quite quickly.

• bbjm
    10 years ago

I'm using this method. I put it down right out of the mower without any issue. There is no issue with matting and water not getting thru. The rain wets the clippings and eventually runs right thru. I throw a handful of fert right on top, but the method above of pulling back the mulch to fert would work slick too.