Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cablestarman

How early to use liquid fish/kelp?

cablestarman
9 years ago

Tomatoes have been in the ground and some in smart pots for a week. The soil is well amended with green waste compost, sweet peet, composted manure, etc.. I also added some organic bone meal, organic dried blood to the soil and a tbs. of tomato-tone.

When can I start adding the neptune's harvest fish/kelp? In the past, I waited about a month before I started. Can I start adding it now, with only be transplanted a week a go?

Thanks
Dave

Comments (8)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

It sounds like your soil is pretty good with compost and manure at this stage. But you can use your choice fertilizer according to the direction on it.

BTW: what is the analysis of liquid fish/kelp ?

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

my question is why not... what is there to regulate when...
    I have done foliar applications at the time of transplant, a week after, just prior to transplant- my convenience and main questions what the plant looks like... at some point you get to understand green and green and which green might need pick me up now and which green is just fine...

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

If using it as a root drench you can use it whenever you wish as long as you understand that it is possible to over-feed/fertilize any plant and create new problems.

Foliar feeding, as opposed to root drench feeding, is a different ballgame. Foliar feeding has its own set of guidelines and risks if not done correctly. For that reason I prefer to avoid foliar applications until the plants are well established and the risks reduced.

The key to providing nutritional supplements (rather than just guessing or because "it is Tuesday") is the plant's stage of activity and appearance.

Of course your container plants will require more frequent nutrient supplements than the in-ground plants will.

Dave

• cablestarman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

seysonn

It's Neptune's Harvest Fish-Seaweed Blend 2-3-1. Last year I used compost tea in place of the water. It really does look like they need it, don't think it will hurt - plus I use it every 4 weeks instead of every 2-3 according to instructions. And every week for the smart pots.

I'm just trying to get some wisdom or something set so I don't have to over think it too much every year.

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

Dave, I would like to look up foliar feed regulations and risks, any suggestions please...all google links I keep getting are about cannabis LOL

• cablestarman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dave

Yup, you helped me with the smart pots last year - I was wondering why they weren't growing :)

I'll stay away from the foliar feeding, don't won't to overcomplicate my brain. I overthink this in the first place.

And thanks for all your wisdom and simplicity, Dave

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Dave, I would like to look up foliar feed regulations and risks, any suggestions please...all google links I keep getting are about cannabis LOL

They aren't "regulations", Linda. No one is going to come arrest you. :)

They are simply research-based guidelines. many of them we talk about here frequently:

~well-diluted formulations only,
    ~use only low-salt index products to avoid leaf damage
    ~use only high atomization spray nozzles
    ~no mixing of different products due to possible interactions,
    ~light misting of both sides of the leaf rather than drenching the plant,
    ~not in the direct sun or the heat of the day,
    ~water-based formulations only to avid stomata occlusions or cuticle coating,
    ~apply only at appropriate stages of plant growth to avoid triggering blossom drop etc.

I'm sure you are aware the foliar feeding in and off itself is a somewhat controversial practice with naysayers and research supporting both sides of the argument.

Nutrient manufacturers, of course, come down heavily on the "it's great" side of the argument but their reasons for supporting it are sometimes questionable. Some horticulturists argue there is simply no way it can work given plant anatomy but their claims are also undermined by research.

So as with many things, the truth lies somewhere in between. That's where I am and I do use and advocate foliar feeding - in moderation..

It isn't a magic cures/fixes all, nor should it be practiced helter-skelter especially by the under-informed. While it has some documented benefits when done correctly, it can also harm the plants when done incorrectly. All of its benefits can be achieved by other less-risky methods like root drench, Just not as quickly. But then quicker isn't always better either. :)

Articles to explore:

The Myth of Foliar Feeding by Linda Chalker-Scott, Ph.D.

Midwest Labs:Foliar Nutrition

Haifa Group - Foliar Feeding Note section on limitations.

For a fun but informative look at both sides:

Farmer Fred Rant: Foliar Feeding: A Waste of Time and Money?

A&L Canada Labs: Leaf feeding vs. Foliar Feeding

Hope this begins to answer your questions but much more info is available.

Dave

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

Dave,
    Thank you! Great to know info. I think with fertigation, hydroponics and now cannabis growers we seems to be getting more and more quality liquid fertilizers and while general issue of foliar feeds still remains controvercial it gets better and better. I have found it very beneficial for intensive type of gardening like veggie gardens but then I follow already predetermined calculations and mixes from quality products.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?