Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hornworms in Trouble, here in Come!

Posted by behlgarden 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 16:34

I spotted hornworm (a big fat one) on my bellpepper. Soon these will spread within days to a week all over my hot peppers and tomatoes. Not a chance!

I will be spraying Thuricide BT this week! Hormworms, beware!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hornworms in Trouble, here in Come!

IF you see white speckles on the worm that is a parasite and it is recommended to leave them so the parasites will continue feeding and survive.

IF not I just cut the worm with scissors. I don't usu. see more than one in my garden every couple of yrs.

o

Last year I saw plenty. Once these spread they wreck havoc. I have not seen the other kind yet.

o

gumby_ct's white speckles are oval cocoons belonging to a tiny wasp (the cocoons are about 1/8" tall, so it really is a tiny wasp).

By the time the cocoons appear, the hornworm is beyond moving and the wasp larvae are no longer feeding, but it's advantageous to leave the caterpillar in place so the wasps can emerge and begin their lives' work of keeping more hornworms from becoming moths and breeding another generation of worms.

I tend to see about four hornworms in the same area at a time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here