Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasonsd

Help with my tomatoes. BER...blight???

JasonSD
11 years ago

Hi guys. I've had some BER on my Moskvich, CP, and Beefeater tomatoes so I immediately thought that this was the case. Now I'm thinking it might be bacterial spot/speck. What do you guys think?

Comments (13)

• JasonSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pics

• JasonSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pic #3

• JasonSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pic #4

• missingtheobvious
    11 years ago

Are there any foliage problems, JasonSD, or is it just the spots on the fruit?

• JasonSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The spots are only on the fruit. There are maybe one or two leaves with some yellowing around the edges but I don't think it is anything out of the ordinary.

• new_b_gardener
    11 years ago

I have noticed on my chocolate cherries than the blossom leaves at the top over the tomatoes are turning brown at the tips. I have also notice one of the leaves on the tomato has been attacked by leaf miners. Will the leaf miners eat the tomatoes? and the browning of the tips does this mean blight?

• ikea_gw
    11 years ago

Not an expert on leaf miners but I have never seen leaf miners damage flowers or fruits. If you can plant some columbine as a trap plant, the leaf miners will be all over that rather than your tomato plants.

• missingtheobvious
    11 years ago

The large spots on pic #2 might be incomplete pollination, which often shows up as dark patches above the gel/seed parts of the fruit. The dark patches become sunken, and enlarge.

In pic #3, I notice pale areas around the tiny spots. That rings a bell, but I can't find any mention of that except with bacterial canker, and it doesn't match those photos. Perhaps damage from a sucking insect?

[In my experience with bacterial canker, you'd notice black-edged leaves well before any fruit damage, and might not see much fruit damage at all.]

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Jason, the best chance I have of diagnosing something when shown only the fruit lesions is to ask and look for the leaf leasions as well, since they usually go together.

What you show could be Bacterial Speck, not Bacterial Spot, just looking at fruit lesions. It could also suggest Target Spot, which is much rarer.

Carolyn, back after Verizon diagnosing what was wrong with her phone and DSL lines, thank heavens since she has a medi-alert system b'c of beingf chained to a walker since Dec 12th, 2004, when she fell b/c of two bad hips, not that she forgets any significant dates or anything. ( smile)

• lgteacher
    11 years ago

This website has lots of good photos which can help you diagnose the problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: tomato problem solver

• JasonSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input guys. This is my first year gardening so it is a little frustrating! I'm guessing it is bacterial speck but I'm not really sure as I am still a newbie. I took some pictures of the worst leaves I could find.

There are a couple of leaves that have one yellow spot (pic #5) and a couple of leaves that has purple/blackish spots in the middle of the leaf or the outer edges (pic #6 & #7).

I guess I'll try a copper spray to prevent any spread of bacterial speck. Are the tomatoes O.K. to leave on and eat later? Thanks guys.

• JasonSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pic #6

• JasonSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pic # 7

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH