Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Planting Screwup?

Posted by behlgarden 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 16:41

I was so excited to plant in ground my little babies from pots that came from own seeds. then I come to realize a week later that I screwed up! I mixed Growing indeterminate and determinate , when I should have kept them apart in separate areas as determinate in middle of two indeterminate will get overtaken.

has anyone experienced this? I really dont want to pull them out now as they have doubled in size in 10 days.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Planting Screwup?

I would say it depends how close together they're planted and how much direct sun they get.

For instance, if the row runs east-west and there's nothing tall planted to the south, I'd be happier about leaving them as they are.

But if you've got a block of plants 2-3' apart and there's a determinate with indeterminates to the south and west of it, that's another matter.

o

well my row of planter runs North south and I get full sun from sunrise to sunset. the row is actually perpendicular to sun's patch so my North South row is good I guess. I get yor point. I plante then 20 to 24" apart. I know its a bit too close but I did well last year and I wante to get few varities this season. Good thing is if I got it mixed, I got at least 2 or 3 of a kind next to each other so that would help somewhat from overtaking issue

thanks for replying

o

• Posted by bets z6A ID (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 22:44

Every year I plan to put indeterminate tomatoes with other indeterminates, and the determinates all together and every year I wind up not doing it. I plant my tomatoes three feet apart and have run them in north-south rows and in east-west rows with six feet between rows and have never seen a problem that I could say was due to mining indeterminate and determinate tomatoes.

I suppose with closer plantings, it could be a problem, but I think if your garden has full sun, it won't make a difference.

Betsy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here