Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Odd unfurled leaves

Posted by ATL0511 none (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 16:45

I can't figure out if this is a virus or just plain ol' stress. I can't find any photos that look similiar to these!

My husband bought two plants of Big Boy from Home Depot and planted them so he could "beat" me for "first tomato". I am growing a couple of heirloom tomato plants from seed. His started growing very tall and flowering, but the leaves at the top of the plant won't unfurl, they just stay rolled up. Mine have started to grow and catch up to his in size, but the two closest to his are now showing the same kind of unfurled leaves at the top. The other ones farther away (~6 feet away) look fine. One of the photos below also shows the leaves at the bottom of the plant, very dark green and a typical curled-at-the-edge leaf.

So my question is, if this is a virus or nematodes or something similar, do I need to pull up ALL infected plants and soil? Even though there are flowers and a few small green tomatoes? I don't want this spreading to my other tomato plants, and I have planted plenty around my yard so if I give up these, I will still have more than enough. If I keep these, will they produce tomatoes that are tasty?

Some more info, I know this isn't due to herbicide because my neighbor is a renter and he could care less. The landlord hasn't been by in a few years either.

Tomato_06
Tomato_05
Tomato_04
Tomato_03
Tomato_02
Tomato_01

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Odd unfurled leaves

Mine were victims of 2-4D drift and looked very similar to these.

o

Yep, more herbicide victims. Classic. I've lost count of how many cases of this we have seen so far this year.

Dave

o

I agree, herbicide drift. 2-4D can volatilize into a gas and travel far, into the miles if the conditions are right. Your neighbor might not care, but what about everyone with in a mile of you? Don't tear them out, water well and keep them well fed and they will come out of it. They don't look hurt too bad.

Jay

o

Wow, thanks! This makes me feel much more comfortable about leaving them in for the long haul. One of the plants that has some pretty severe curling has one ripe tomato already. I guess time will tell!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here