Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atl0511

Odd unfurled leaves

atl0511
11 years ago

I can't figure out if this is a virus or just plain ol' stress. I can't find any photos that look similiar to these!

My husband bought two plants of Big Boy from Home Depot and planted them so he could "beat" me for "first tomato". I am growing a couple of heirloom tomato plants from seed. His started growing very tall and flowering, but the leaves at the top of the plant won't unfurl, they just stay rolled up. Mine have started to grow and catch up to his in size, but the two closest to his are now showing the same kind of unfurled leaves at the top. The other ones farther away (~6 feet away) look fine. One of the photos below also shows the leaves at the bottom of the plant, very dark green and a typical curled-at-the-edge leaf.

So my question is, if this is a virus or nematodes or something similar, do I need to pull up ALL infected plants and soil? Even though there are flowers and a few small green tomatoes? I don't want this spreading to my other tomato plants, and I have planted plenty around my yard so if I give up these, I will still have more than enough. If I keep these, will they produce tomatoes that are tasty?

Some more info, I know this isn't due to herbicide because my neighbor is a renter and he could care less. The landlord hasn't been by in a few years either.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor