Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pegleg48

to leave or pull?

pegleg48
11 years ago

Hi

I started my tomatoes from seed this year, and am growing in containers. I transplanted a few into their permanent homes a few weeks ago and they are doing well, but a few of them sat around in small pots far too long, got very leggy, and started to rot along the bottom of the stems (white bubbly bits. Not very healthy, I know that much).

Last night, I planted the two best of the bunch in 18 gallon containers, but even planting the root ball at the bottom of the container, they are still tall and leggy and won't get as much support (container is at least 2ft deep). I have a few other smaller seedlings that are much healthier.

So, should I leave them in there, give them lots of food, and see how they do? Or just pull em, and replace with my healthier plants, even though they will produce much later.

Too bad the best looking one I accidentally snapped when trying to transplant! I stuck it deep in some dirt to see if that might keep it alive, but I expect to find it all wilty when I get home.

I could use the space for my eggplant instead...

Thanks

Peggy

Comments (2)