Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Feeding tomatoes

Posted by sunshine9 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 16:54

I am new to growing a moderate sized garden of tomatoes that I started from seed. In MA, we have gotten a lot of water so I have not been watering them and they seem to finally be happy! But I have not added any fertilzing product for them. They have been in the ground a month.
What should I look for in a fertilizer/feeding product? And how often should I be doing this?
My tomatoes have flowers and one is starting a tomato.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Feeding tomatoes

• Posted by digdirt 6b -7 North AR (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 19:11

Lots of 'fertilizer' discussions here you can browse through for many opinions.

What to use is really your choice as long as it is well balanced without excessive nitrogen and provides micro-nutrients as well as N-P-K. There are many good products available both synthetic and organic.

How much of it to use, how soon, and how often all depends your soil condition and nutrient levels. If the bed was well prepped and amended before planting, drains well, has good tilth with a good level of organic matter included then the need for supplements may be minimal.

If not then regular supplemental feedings will be required. A very general guideline is after first fruitset and then approx. every 6 weeks throughout the season. But that can easily be too little or way too much depending on your soil.

Bottom line, just as with watering there is no "one size fits all" approach to feeding tomatoes.

Dave

o

My garden soil is a nice loam which has been improved by compost layering. I add compost and Plant Tone (or Garden Tone or Rose Tone) at planting time. I add more Plant Tone about every 6 weeks during the season. My plants are large and have set many fruits.

I think most experienced gardeners will encourage you to focus on improving your soil over time vs. the quick fix provided by a bucket full of Miracle Grow.

o

sunshine9 i'm in the same boat.I'm getting a soil test kit.From what I read,tomatoes don't like much Nitrogen,first # youll see on NPK fertilizer products.
I'm thinking about buying some sufate of potash(0-0-51) or K-Mag (Langbeinite)-(0-0-22) & fish bone meal(4-22-0).Not saying hey you should get this too,just saying i might try it out.

Never ordered from this site but looks like they have a good amount of options & prices don't look bad.I'm sure the S&H will be high though if you buy enough.

Here is a link that might be useful: soilminerals.com

o

Keep it simple ,get some Miracle Grow for tomatoes ,mix as directed , feed plants, there done ,don't need fancy .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here