Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djole_gw

Ugly weather, ugly problems

Djole
10 years ago

This is one of those "want to share to get some consolation" posts, or rather the "exhaust valve" kind...

We've had the coldest and dampest May and June that anyone around me can remember - Rain almost everyday, temperatures way below average (49 F lows, 72 F highs). I didn't to tell my garden buddies what could happen, mainly because I didn't want to summon the devil by speaking it's name out loud...

Tomorrow I'm going abroad for a short holiday, so I've spent the day on my tomato plot to make some final preparations for my 9 day absence, during which my garden buddies were supposed to watch over our 300 tomatoes, tie and support them where necessary and switch on and off the drip system when needed.
I was almost done with what was to be done, when my eye caught a glimpse of something - and there it was, in all of it's sinister glory. There was little doubt about it, and that little was dispersed by the typical, for most part unmistakable lesions on the fruit. 1 was really bad... 3 more were pulled... 5 more I'm not sure of. I've read a lot about it, but I'm still a virgin when it comes to experience with this.
My trip cannot be postponed. Luckily, one of my garden buddies knows how to use the bluestone (copper sulphate), but I'm aware that if this weather continues nothing will help. For the most of it, our toms are in Gods and Natures hands right now. Forecast says highs around 86 F in 2 days time, but they've been wrong before...

Thanks,
Djole

This post was edited by Djole on Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 17:00

Comments (4)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio