Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
starting tomatoes from suckers

Posted by clinchbilly (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 17:00

Can anyone give me advice on getting suckers to grow roots. Seem to me its such a waste to just throw them away. Thanks for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: starting tomatoes from suckers

There are two methods. You can stick them in the soil and keep them well watered or put them in a container with some water, wait until there are some roots along the stem and then plant them.

Either way seems to work.

Linda

o

Lots of how-to previous discussions here that the search will pull up for you. I have linked some of them below.

Dave

Rooting Cuttings

How to root cuttings

Rooting clones

o

What can be done about nematodes killing my tomatoes? They were beautiful with small tomatoes, seemed to wilt overnight, guess it was nematodes. Looked like they needed water but knew they didn't. What a disappointment!

o

Imapepper - that is totally different topic than the current discussion. Please start a new thread with your question. Thanks.

o

You know how else these "suckers" can be be made to grow fruits and leafs? Leave them on the tomato plant.

o

I recently tried both ; in water and in soil. Water won in my case.

The problem with soil, seems to me, is that you have no idea what is going on in there. With the water method, it needs no special care. Just once you see the roots, plat it. I do this method with basil, shiso, mints, lemongrass, ... It work for me.

o

Will they be as productive as the parent plant?

o

Of course! They are clones of the original plant.

Linda

o

I took the challenge - it appears propagating directly in the soil works great (I did not try water as I have had success with other plants propagating in soil mix) - I tried 3 different sizes of suckers - it appears the larger suckers rooted as quickly as the smaller suckers.

photo image_zps2fbebd6e.jpg

photo image_zpsa7fe2278-1.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here