Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicagodeli37

Container vs raised beds

ChicagoDeli37
10 years ago

I have 8 tomatoes in containers and 13 in raised beds.
In my area the rain has been non stop and it's been mild weather.
covered them up the last few storms keeping them as dry as possible
The ones in the containers with 100% potting mix seem to be doing the best. Is this because with this cool weather the raised bed soil temperature is much cooler than the potting mix?

Because this seems to be the case with my cucumbers, and other stuff in containers do better than their twins in raised beds.

Comments (10)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Raised beds will normally out perform containers hands down when it comes to plant health and production. The two methods really can't be compared with any accuracy as they are so different. Just as raised beds are different than in-ground beds.

But how well they drain all depends on the soil mix in them. Soil-less potting mixes drain well, soil based mixes less so.

How quickly they will warm up the soil, one vs. the other, depends on the location/sun exposure and the color of the containers. All things being equal their soil temps are about the same except for when watered. Black containers will warm faster than light colored ones of course.

But plant performance has so many different variables involved - nutrients available, sun exposure, soil tilth, variety, root development, soil moisture levels, etc. etc. - that you really can't narrow it down to one factor making a difference.

Dave

• ChicagoDeli37
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's just weird how the ones in potting mix are just so much healthier and growing much faster. I'm starting to think a lot of it has to do with so much wood chip mixed in the soil that's in the raised beds. I'm planning soon to hit them all with liquid ferts once it's time to water. Everything has been overwatered from the rain, so I haven't watered once since I planted 3 weeks ago.

Dave like you said I but off more than I can chew.

With all the rain, cool weatheR, bad soil, bugs already ..to many different boxes and containers going on for one person to manage the plants the proper way they are suppose to be taken care off.

Anyways here's a few pics showing the difference
    The smaller tomato already has a small fruit forming. Just growing kind of weird

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Looks like the result of different drainage rates with the soil and nitrogen depletion. Rather than a liquid fert use a granular like 10-10-10 to side dress them. Use your hand to make a shallow circle trench around the plant about 1- 1 1/2 inches deep and 6" out from the base of the plant, lay in a cup or so of the granular fert. As it rains or you water it will feed them.

Dave

• lgteacher
    10 years ago

You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the wood chips in the raised bed. They could be depleting the nitrogen, leaving your plants puny and yellow.

• n1111z
    10 years ago

I have used both methods, containers in the form of Earthbox, and also tried hydroponics. My experience is that the container plants (and hydros) always look great starting out and produce some fruit. As we get into late July and August they burn up and stop producing and the raised beds start going to town. I have come to the conclusion that (for me) vegetables always do better when they are in direct contact with the ground.

• lucillle
    10 years ago

Because the area that I chose for my garden drains fairly quickly after a rain I did not even do raised beds, the tomatoes and other veggies are planted in the ground. I mounded a little soil around the base of the tomatoes when I first planted them.
    All are doing well, and looking happy.

• qaguy
    10 years ago

I've always had better luck with raised beds over
    containers.

Case in point. This year I'm babysitting a Sweet Million
    for a friend while her yard is undergoing work.

Hers is in a container, mine is in a raised bed.

Hers is about 3' tall and not doing much.

Mine is about 8' tall right now and producing quite well.

No comparison.

• sharonrossy
    10 years ago

I'm going to comment here. I have always had much more success growing in containers. Less pests for one thing. I have grown in both soil and containers at the same time and am doing so currently. It's true container growing requires more care especially once the plants start taking off. But preparing a good potting mix with proper nutrients and maintaining that will give great results. We tend to have a heavy clay soil in my area and its often just too hard to work with and balance. Just my opinion. And my Cukes have always done better in containers.
    Sharon

• fireduck
    10 years ago

C...lots of diverse comments here...I will not address my opinion on the "best" way to grow tomatoes. As to your specific problem...I think you probably answered your own question regarding the rain. Containers (depending on mix) will usually drain water faster. Thus, the containers are healthier now..with more aeration in the soil (very important). All should stabilize soon. Pray for sun.

• teeainttelling
    10 years ago

I suspect is is differences in the soil and not the beds/container.

I also suggest you remove the wood chips. They do pull out nitrogen. Since your plants are yellow - I think you may have low nitrogen.

BTW - I have also had non stop rain and temps bellow 70 and my tomoatoes in raised beds look like your plants in the container. This is a new house for us and I am using two raised beds that the previous owner left and one I built myself. I did not know what shape the soil was in (though she was an awesome gardner - and it looked great). I filled my new bed with 2/3 ordinary soil and 1/3 compost and manure mix from Home Depot. I only fertilized about two weeks after planting because the weather has been so bad and cool.

This post was edited by Timmytoo on Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 12:52

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?