Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okie4ever_gw

Anyone Selling Tomatos?

Okie4Ever
11 years ago

I am soon to have a large harvest beginning of some very healthy tomatoes of all sizes and varieties. They all seem to be blemish free, healthy looking tomatoes. I don't use any chemical herbicides in my soil or chemical pesticides on my plants. I did use a little Miracle Gro this year and a little Epsom Salts to jump start them.

I'm wondering if some of you who sell from home, and are not market gardeners can give me an idea of what price to set on nice large size tomatoes and also on cherries? I am not trying to compete with market gardeners, but I can't join a Farmers Market to due health and other reasons, but I do need to sell for some extra "pin money" this year. This seemed like one of the only ways I could earn some extra money from the house. I have worked very hard on this project and hope I'm not supposed to "give away my extras" just because I sell from my home.

Thanks,

Barb

Comments (8)

• terrybull
    11 years ago

here 3$ a pound

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    11 years ago

$2.50 - $3.00 lb here at the farmers markets for non-organic tomatoes.

• missingtheobvious
    11 years ago

Check with your local town or county to make sure you don't need a license.

Is there a "tailgate market" near you that's more for amateurs than the farmer's market is? Or a flea market where some vendors sell produce?

Perhaps an option might be to have someone who already participates in one of the existing markets who would be willing to sell your produce for a percentage.

• barnhardt9999
    11 years ago

$3 a pound?!? No way around here. Every farmer would be driving their harvest in a Bentley if that was the case. When I buy at the supermarket I see .59 to .79 for Roma's and .89 - .99 for clusters on the vine. Even the organic heirlooms only fetch 2.79 - 2.99 at the most over-priced yuppie store in the rich suburbs. I can't imagine the grocery stores pay more than 50% of that to farmers.

At the stands on the side of the road between Boone, NC and Johnson City, TN, $1.25 is average for good home grown tomatoes.

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    11 years ago

The grocery store tomatoes around here aren't much different from season to season. They aren't remotely close to fresh home grown and sell them cheap because they are inferior shipped in from who knows where and no telling when they were picked. It isn't about quality for them, it is about price. I won't give $.59 for them. Sounds like your local stores do a better job than the ones here. I grow my own so the price isn't an issue just responding to the original post.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

As other have indicated prices vary greatly from location to location. There is no nationwide pricing. It is whatever the local market will bear so other local growers will be your best source of info. Make some calls around to local farmer's markets etc.

Here it ranges from 50 cents pound to $3-4 per pound depending on quality, variety, color, and type of packaging. We have clients who buy only for canning and aren't as quality conscious - they want bulk pricing. While others want only a few for fresh eating and want specific types, perfect appearance, and colors. They have to pay more for that.

And as missing said above, check the local county codes first. Many will require you have a license, some counties don't care, others require both a license and an inspection of the premisis, then there are those county's that even require specific access for traffic and parking rules be met.

Dave

• SneakyP86
    11 years ago

Here the supermarkets sell slicer tomato's for around $2.00 a pound. I sell mine for $1.25 a pound. Just go to your local stores see what they sell for and come down off of that some.

• barnhardt9999
    11 years ago

I agree - the .59 per lb tomatoes are nothing you would really want to eat but neither are the $2.79 heirlooms. Only way to get a good tomato seems to be road-side or grow it yourself. I would imagine anyone who has ever eaten a grocery store tomato would probably pay a premium to a home seller.

In my area, I would start at $2. If I was close to selling out I would raise prices until demand slowed down. If they started to rot, I would lower prices until they started to move. Just be flexible and you will find the sweet spot where supply and demand meet.