Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evdpgh

Too many tomatoes?

evdpgh
11 years ago

Some of my plants have as many as six tomatoes on a blossom stem and I don't see how they can support that weight as they starts to get bigger. Should I remove some? Does anyone else have this problem and how do you deal with it? Or is it a problem?

Comments (10)

• Deborah-SC
    11 years ago

I had to tie some of my Roma stems with pantyhose -- just like a sling under the stem & then tied the ends to the tomato cage. Hope that helps -- good luck!

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

What is the name of the variety? Can't say without that information. No way to know if it is normal or how big they will get.

For many cluster-type varieties that is perfectly normal. For some of the small fruited varieties you will often find even more than six.

But as a general rule, it is rarely necessary to remove fruit. The plant does fine.

Dave

• qaguy
    11 years ago

Yep, generally not a problem. Those stems are tougher
    than one might expect.

Here's a shot of a large tomato set on my Cherokee Purple.
    For size reference, that's 3/4 inch PVC pipe.

• evdpgh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"What is the name of the variety?"...According to the guy who gave me the plants they are Big Boy Improved. I imagine they get pretty large.

"I had to tie some of my Roma stems with pantyhose"...Maybe I'll go around the neighborhood and ask the women for some wornout panty hose. Or perhaps that might not be such a good idea after all.

"Here's a shot of a large tomato set on my Cherokee Purple."...That does look like a lot of weight there.

• evdpgh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also thanks for the responses. I don't know whether it's the hot weather or the variety, but I've never had such a prolific yield. Unlike in previous years, every blossom seems to be setting.

• claydirt
    11 years ago

Must be nice. Can I have some when they are ripe?

My plants are over 4 feet tall. The last blossom sets here were 1 foot off the ground. No rain. No clouds. Intense sun. Either too dry or too hot (days) or too cold (nights) or too something. Now it's very August like weather. The yard is a nice crispy crunchy brown. All next week looks blazing hot. My guess is it will be mid-September before any more blossom set. If I can just keep the plants watered. Dang cracks in the earth never fill up when you stick the running hose in 'em.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

If it is Big Boy then what you see is normal and aside from heavy winds the plants usually don't have any trouble supporting the fruits. They average 10-12 oz., not huge but a medium beefsteak type.

Dave

qaguy - good looking plants and fruit!

• evdpgh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Claydirt, it's been August-like here too. My plants only get about 2 hours of morning sun a day, but I've always had pretty good results. I mulch mine heavily with grass clippings and usually don't have to ever water, but this year has been very dry very early. We have sandy clay loam here. It sounds like you need to add some soil amendments if you have the type of swelling clay you describe.

I'd give you some tomatoes, but the neighbors here are already eyeing the plants and drooling.

• pennypond USDA 10 Sunset 21 CA
    11 years ago

Gaguy, what impressive looking plant and fruit!

• qaguy
    11 years ago

Thanks for the compliments on my plants and fruit. Things
    are going good here so far. Many of the plants have
    this type of sets, but the CP was the easiest shot.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting