Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
araomd

Help! Most of my tomatoes are dying :( Pics

araomd
11 years ago

Most of my tomatoes look diseased this year. It has been wetter than normal recently. They are in raised beds, no additional fertilizer other than compost.

Any ideas? Do I have more than one disease? Thanks in advance for the help!

From Tomatoes
From Tomatoes
From Tomatoes
From Tomatoes
From Tomatoes
From Tomatoes

Comments (10)

• fusion_power
    11 years ago

The photos are not enough to say for sure all the things that are wrong, but here is a start. Some of them are showing early blight, some show specks consistent with septoria, some look like fusarium. All of the plants show signs of severe lack of nitrogen. You have a nutrient imbalance that should have been corrected long ago. Also, have you been pruning the plants to a single leader?

DarJones

• suncitylinda
    11 years ago

Darrell - I was thinking poor nutrition was behind the disease. I am trying to do a better job of really reading all the information to come to the best conclusions and advice. Still such a newbie but I have learned so much from you, Dave, Carolyn, B54 and everyone else who shares their knowlege on these forums. Thanks to all of you.

• harveyhorses
    11 years ago

Something I don't think enough people take advantage of it County Extension Agents. They can help with soil tests, usually where to find 'amendments' and local growing conditions. Years ago we moved from east of Richmond to Faaaar west, and it was very different. He was really helpful and actually seemed interested.
    Anyway, I would start with a soil test. Don't give up!

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

I agree that there are several things going on in those pics but I'm also wondering, since they have obviously been in trouble for some time, what steps you have taken so far to try to fix the problems?

The reason I ask is because sometimes the fixes we try help but some make the problems worse. These are mostly beyond salvaging so there is much you can learn for next year from this experience.

So have you used any sprays of any kind? Tried a fungicide? Fed them anything? Compost is not a fertilizer. How deep in the bed? What is it filled with? etc.

Dave

• araomd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think maybe you all are right that its a nutrition problem. I used the square foot gardening mix of 1/3 manure/compost, 1/3 peat moss, and 1/3 vermiculite. I was under the impression that I would not have to add fertilizer with this mixture. I have used the diluted fish fertilizer once, but I had been reluctant to use regular fertilizer out of concerns that I would eventually get too much salt buildup in my soil.
    Is that a valid concern?

• gin_gin
    11 years ago

I'm a fan of the square foot method, but I always use additional fertilizer even though he says you don't need it. I don't do my tomatoes in the SFG anymore, but I have plenty of in ground space.

• araomd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info everyone. I will fertilize and report back if it was a nutrition problem!

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Salt build-up is really only and issue with synthetic fertilizers and even then only certain ones of those (like MG). If you use organic fertilizers - and I definitely agree that Mel's Mix needs additional ferts - then it isn't a concern unless you get heavy into straight manures.

Organics don't act as quickly but they do work.

But note that no one said it is only a nutrient problem or that feeding them now will fix all the problems. It won't. Your plants also need to have all the affected foliage removed and a regular spraying program with a fungicide because of the fungus diseases you have.

And the one plant that looks like it has fusarium wilt (the last pic) needs to be removed completely. Check out the diseases Dar listed in his first post for further treatment recommendations.

Personally, since your zone has such a long growing season I'd replace most of the plants with new ones rather than try to salvage those in your pics. JMO

Dave

• araomd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I forgot to answer the pruning: I did plant to a single leader (but I don't think I will next year!).

What fungicide do you recommend? I have a neem based one.

• missingtheobvious
    11 years ago

araomd, to edit the zone and location field,

1. At the very bottom of a page, click on "Member Pages" in the green bar.

2. If you are logged in, this should take you to your own member page. If not, I assume you'd need to log in.

3. Click on "Edit Your Membership Details."

4. The field you want is "Garden Zone."

5. Make any other changes you wish, then click "Save Your Member Profile."

I did it once, so I knew it had to be possible somehow....

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!