Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ANTS! Living under my tomatoes?

Posted by gardenprincess2010 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 18, 10 at 17:54

Ok, so I went and watered my plants this morning, and after I did thousands and thousands of ants started coming up from under them. They were swarming the base of the plant and then climbing up the plant, all over the leaves, and also the cage.

The ants had, what looked like little white dots they were carrying with them. Many of the ants parked their stupid little bodies on my leaves and just hung out there.

Does anyone know why they would build a nest under my plants?
How I can get rid of them?
Are they gonna do major damage?

Also, something I thought was weird, I always find dead ants on my plants and leaves. Not a lot, just a few here and there. My mom said she thought that was because tomatoes are part of the NightShade family. And that at some stages those plants can be very poisonous.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ANTS! Living under my tomatoes?

Hi!

I'm bumping, as I have the same question. Any advice out there?

Thanks much!

o

• Posted by robeb Kansas City area (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 23, 10 at 11:17

Could be this:

Here is a link that might be useful: ants farming aphids

o

Does anyone know why they would build a nest under my plants? How I can get rid of them? Are they gonna do major damage?

Nest may have already been there deep in the soil and the disturbance of planting and such just brought them up to the soil surface. Or they could have moved in later due to the shade and cooler soil. Who can say as ants for the most part are normal to gardens and except fire ants, pose no threat in the garden in any way.

But since they were carrying the larvae as they left they have obviously moved on. Wet the soil well and they move.

Lots of discussions on ants in the garden that the search will pull up for you.

Dave

o

I use cornmeal to get rid of ants. Supposedly, when ants eat the corn mean and then drink water, it kills them. If all goes well, the queen will eat the cornmeal and the colony will die. It takes time and persistence, but it does work.

The hard part is that once the cornmeal gets wet, it is useless and you will need to put down more cornmeal. So you'd have to spread the cornmeal on the days you don't water.

o

Thanks for the link and suggestions. I'll give them a try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here