Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robthomas_gw

Today's harvest

RobThomas
9 years ago

Just thought I'd share what came out of the garden today.

Comments (25)

• nugrdnnut
    9 years ago

ah... looks very nice!!!

• sharonrossy
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I'm jealous! My plants are just starting to set fruit.

• hoosier40 6a Southern IN
    9 years ago

Very nice! Still waiting for my first ripe one, hopefully some time next week.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I like the varieties you have there , very colorful. There are other colors than red and pink. I am also growing, red, pink, brown, chocolate, black, green and yellow gold.

I am too waiting for my first ripe tomato. Anyday now/

• nugrdnnut
    9 years ago

Just harvested our first Sungold... it only gets better from here!

• yardenman
    9 years ago

I commend you! Mine are just beyond golf ball size and haven't broken color yet. But they are heirlooms, and a bit slow.

• dodge59
    9 years ago

This is our harvest over a period of about a week.

Gary

• RobThomas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These were ready early as I started them from seed back on February 9th. I think I ended up with 20 different varieties. I'm still waiting on several types to ripen.

Nice variety there, Gary.

• dodge59
    9 years ago

Thanks Rob, yours look great too!

Been giving these to neighbors and friends as well as eating them ourselves.

The big green ones, (Green Giants), ripen very fast after picking, so we've been eating a lot of those!

Gary

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

Gorgeous harvest...both of you that posted pics. Hoping to have a bit of that soon....a few weeks away it seems.
    Would like to see a cross slice, especially the 'ghost' variety.

9 years ago

Got my first ripe one today! Stupice, planted out May 7. Just snuck it in, in June. Sorry, no pic, it's already gone. Actually I had two that were probably ripe a day or so ago but my mockingbird beat me to them.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

With the exception of a few Sun Golds these are all from determinate plants set out in containers on May 1-2nd. Bush Champion, Mountain Spring, Margo, Better Bush, Kimberly, and Early Wonder.

Dave

This post was edited by digdirt on Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 21:36

9 years ago

Impressive Dave, especially for your zone and the cool spring. Mine are ahead of schedule, but not that far ahead.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Thanks. Hoped to post a pic of plants in the containers but photobucket seems to be down right now.

Dave

Edited to add photos.

May 3rd.

May 20th-May 30th. Drip irrigation and fertigation works well. But my biggest advantage with these plants is the high elevation (warmer) and the sun exposure of the SW deck.

This post was edited by digdirt on Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 10:21

• seysonn
    9 years ago

OK. You guys are killing me :-)
    I am about to see some color break on my Siletz and Sun Gold.
    Probably Slim_Okra in zone 2, up in Canada would beat my PNW performance. LOL

• dodge59
    9 years ago

Well, as I did not want to give the "Last Rights" to a "Neighbor Pacific Coaster", that is why I did not show a
    sliced picture of any of the maters!

I will say, that I sliced up that huge Kellogg's Breakfast, and used one of the slices to make a burger on the bbq.
    The mater hung over the edges of the bun and that was probably "One of the Sweetest & Juciest burgers I've even had!

Dodge leaves in order to send the paramedics to
    the "PNW".

Unsigned

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Dodge, hurry it up.
    I am going to pick few green ones and paint them with Crayon or something. hehe

• hockingapple
    9 years ago

Great photos all.

Dave/DigDirt, what do you think about those Early Wonder? Are they good eaters? I'm assuming those are the Heirloom Early Wonder? I've got some in the ground with lots of tomatoes but I figure another few weeks before ripe.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Dave/DigDirt, what do you think about those Early Wonder? Are they good eaters? I'm assuming those are the Heirloom Early Wonder?

I don't know that EW actually qualifies as a "heirloom" variety but it is open-pollinated. It's a good tomato for an early and much better than many other earlies in my opinion. But my Bush Champion beat it by a couple of days this year for first to color break.

I wouldn't go so far as to call EW great. I don't find any of the early varieties to be "great" when compared to many of the mid-season varieties. But then my taste buds are very old. :)

Dave

• hockingapple
    9 years ago

I don't know that EW actually qualifies as a "heirloom" variety but it is open-pollinated. It's a good tomato for an early and much better than many other earlies in my opinion. But my Bush Champion beat it by a couple of days this year for first to color break.

Good info., I'm looking forward to trying my Early Wonder here shortly.

By the way, your container tomatoes look really good. I planted some in containers this year but this was the first time and I did it primarily so I could plant out earlier than normal and be able to bring them inside in case of late frost. Still planted a bunch of plants in the ground later on. What is the growing medium you use for your containers? Any problems with BER?

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

Dave,

Great pictures!

How big are your oblong black boxes and which variety do you have growing in them? I'm always on the lookout for tomato plants that will do well in smallish containers.

Linda

• dodge59
    9 years ago

Well, I posted in the wrong thread, soooooo~~~~~here goes again.

As I think (by now) our "NW Poster" has probably eaten one of her maters by now, I think it's "Now Safe" to post this picture of my sliced Neves Azorian Red, which I will be consuming for dinner.

If I guessed wrong, my "Condolences" to the "Family"!!!

Gary

• scottsmith
    9 years ago

What great looking tomatoes!!!!!

I am envious.

• springroz
    9 years ago

My San Marzanos are JUST starting to color up...The Chocolates Stripes are still ALL green!

Beautiful tomatoes, everyone!!

Nancy

• RobThomas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are a few more. We collected these on Saturday.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County