Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
regeneration of broken tomato stem

Posted by catherinet z5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 07 at 18:23

Hi all,
I'm growing some veggies in big containers in my yard. I have a cherry tomato plant that was doing well, when half of it broke off. What a bummer. I decided to just stick the broken stem back in the soil, and make sure it was kept watered........and it survived! Makes me wonder if we can do this for all our tomatoes when they're younger?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: regeneration of broken tomato stem

Sure, many of us root cuttings and/or suckers for additional plants all the time. ;) You'll find several posts here on the how-to for it.

Dave

o

Rooting suckers (or broken branches) is a great way to propagate plants. If you want to start new plants for a late season harvest start some about 12 weeks before your last frost. It's quicker than starting from seeds, saving you at least 4-6 weeks.

o

Thanks Dave and adrian,
I'm sort of embarrassed that I've been growing maters for over 30 years and I didn't know this! Can't wait to grow more this way!

o

I was just doing this to a couple of stalks that I either cut off or they broke off.

Two that I put in a flower vase and forgot about for a week had a nice root system going so I planted them in a hanging basket to root some more.

Two others that I also kept in a shady spot didn't fare so well and ended up in the compost pile. Don't know why the difference but I have one purple variety of tomato that I am going to try this with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here