Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
world_tomatoes

Post Your Tomato Pics 2012

world_tomatoes
11 years ago

Hmmmm, did a search and didn't find a 2012 pic thread yet so I figured I would start one. This is my southeast Asian cultivar plot and includes Samar Native, Gapan Native, Angeles City Native, Talavera Native, Native, Filipino #2, Divisoria-2, Susong Kalabaw, VC-11, Kamatis na Ligaw, Nagcarlang, and Tanggula.

Comments (103)

• harveyhorses
    11 years ago

My sister made this banner for me, the tomato is a Delicious. or was anyway. I have given up, my seeds must have gotten mixed, but I am having a great harvest and sharing plenty.

• sandgroper1968
    11 years ago

I live in Chicago and have a 4x6' plot in a neighborhood community garden. I'm growing Black Krims, Green Zebras, Sweet 100's, Boxcar Willie and some yellow cherry tomatoes. I've only been harvesting for the last week or so but I've already harvested 16lbs :)

I've really enjoyed checking out everyone's photos. I can't believe how healthy some of your plants look. Most of mine are crispy brown, despite me watering at least every second day. They're still producing though, so I'm grateful for that

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    11 years ago

Brandywine Suddeth just shy of 1.5 pounds. Oddly one of my best plants this year with approx 20 tomatoes all 1 pound +.

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Very nice tomatoes, everyone! I don't always comment but I always love to look at the pictures.

• green_go (Canada, Ontario, z 5a)
    11 years ago

Black and Brown Boar:

Various cherry tomatoes:

• plainolebill
    11 years ago

I feel like a piker after looking at all those great tomatoes, we don't get enough heat during the summer to ripen beefsteak types and not much production from most heirlooms.

These are Jet Stars, they do pretty well for us.

• misfithousewife
    11 years ago

Here is my Black Zebra plant. It has a fair amount of fruit on it and we have harvested 2 so far but it does take a long time to ripen!

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Those JET STARS look great to me !

green, what an unusual looking tomato. That Black and Brown Boar is lovely. How does it taste?

• coconut_head
    11 years ago

Here is my first weeks (approx) worth of Chocolate Stripes. 25 Lbs. Italian Heriloom is close behind with close to 20 Lbs harvested in the first week.

CH

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Wow, another great looking batch of tomatoes. I really love the looks of these red with green stripes varieties.

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

About four quarts out of the six quarts I picked today in this bag of the JULIET tomatoes. I know that some of you on this forum hate Juliets. But they are so productive and my neighbors two kids eat all I can give them. They got these. Me, I love Juliets and will be planting them again next year.

• crazyoldgoose
    11 years ago

This year I'm vert pleased with my San Marzano Redortas that I am growing for sauce.

Thank God for the trickle irrigation during this drought!

crazyoldgoose in Md

• barnhardt9999
    11 years ago

Red boar from seed giveaway.

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Barnhart, your picture of Red Boar caused me to do a search for it on the web.

I stumbled upon the website for Wild Boar Farms. I have seen some of these varieties listed at Heritage Seed but not all of them. In fact until I stumbled upon their own website I didn't know there were more to be had. What fabulous looking tomatoes. I am going to have to have many of these for myself next spring! And so beautuful on top of everything else. Wow!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild Boar Farms

• barnhardt9999
    11 years ago

Toddler approved taste too (the only honest food critics).

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Barnhart, I am sure those taste great!

Today I picked and also ate some of the VIVIA ITALIAS that are just really getting into production now. They taste really good even to eat fresh. Bet these will make fabulous sauce and salsa. Have to get some pictures soon. I never wanted to eat Romas fresh but the Vivia Italias taste so much better than those old Romas used to.

• jolj
    11 years ago

Tomatoes,egg plant,asparagus & onions
    {{gwi:101497}}
    Juliet tomato plant
    {{gwi:66248}}

• JazzyJuliebean
    11 years ago

Baby German Queen tomato - the plant that this is on broke last night, so hopefully she'll make it!

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

German Queens taste good, I have had that variety in the past.

Here is the biggest tomato I have picked this year so far. 1 pound 13 ounces BEEFMASTER picked this morning.

• mariev_seattle
    11 years ago

My tomatoes are finally blushing in Seattle. The first tomato on Kimberley started breaking a few days ago, about 67 days after transplant and 2 days before Sungold.

Tomatoes blushing on Kimberley in mid-August
    {{gwi:1088417}}

11 years ago

Reif Red Heart 1 pound 9 ounces.

It was delicious! Not too bad for a 5 gal bucket SWC.

11 years ago

Lemon cherry:

Green cherry:

Various tomatoes

11 years ago

Is that a Chocolate Stripe in the bottom left? What do they taste like?

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

ed, great tomato!

green, love the mixed batch.

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Seven quarts of Juliet tomatoes I picked today.

• tomncath
    11 years ago

Nice Beefmaster Rita! I've gotten them up to a little over 2 lbs. I'd post a picture but it would not be recent. Those Juliet's look great too.

Here are my seedlings today, they'll be three weeks old Saturday. Set date is 9/15 here in Zone 10 Florida if no hurricanes are predicted for the week. Tallest/healthiest:

Beefmaster
    Vinson Watts
    Monomakh's Hat
    Sweet Baby Girl
    First Prize
    Tangella
    Smarty F1
    Japanese Black Trifelle

Forty plants, twenty eight spaces to set plants :-)

Tom

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Those seedlings look great to me! You need to make your tomato garden space larger then you can keep all your seedlings :-))

Beefmaster to Juliet. Large tomatoes to small ones. I like all types!

• coconut_head
    11 years ago

I don't know how I missed it before. Crazy Old Goose, Your gardening beverage is the BEAST? LOL I thought only teenagers drank that stuff.

Edweather - I had the basket of Choc Stripes a little up the thread and I think they taste very good. A little bit rich and deep. Not a top of the palate zing like some of the higher acids tomatoes I have tried this year. Hard to describe really but Pretty big flavor, it's just mellow at the same time. It kind of just saturates you with flavor instead of punching you in the face with it. I'm also in Upstate NY and they in particular produced great for me. They are my largest plants other than sungold and the heaviest producers as well. If you ever come through Utica area look me up and you can try some in person.

CH

11 years ago

edweather,
    On the picture it is not Chocolate Stripe , it is Black & Red Boar.
    It tastes really good and also productive too.

• Jane_n.cal
    11 years ago

[IMG]http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l570/jane5056/Gar2012-005_Web3.jpg[/IMG]

First attempt at posting a picture. I hope to get the actual photo, and not a code. If this doesn't work I'll try something else.

Jane
    P.S. Black Krim, Kellogs Breakfast and assorted reds. Results of my "taste test" to follow. There were some real surprises for me.

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

OK , copy the next tag down, the HTML code not the Img code and you will have it.

• daniel_nyc
    11 years ago

TOMATOES: Beefmaster, Beefsteak, Better Boy, Big Beef, Big Boy, Big Red, Brandywine, Brandywine Black, Brandywine Pink, Brandywine Yellow, Celebrity, Celebrity (bush), Delicious, Dr. Lyle, Early Girl, Early Oregon, Early Treat, Monster, Mortgage Lifter, Red Cherry, Sun Gold, Supersteak, Supersweet 100, Supersweet, Sweet Million, Sweetie.

{{gwi:98975}}

{{gwi:98976}}

{{gwi:98977}}

{{gwi:98978}}

{{gwi:98979}}

{{gwi:98980}}

{{gwi:98981}}

{{gwi:98982}}

{{gwi:98983}}

{{gwi:98984}}

COMPANION PLANTS: Artemisia, Basil, Bee Balm, Borage, Chives, Geraniums, Lovage, Marigolds, Oregano, Parsley, Petunias, Yarrow, Zinnia

{{gwi:98992}}

{{gwi:98994}}

{{gwi:98996}}

{{gwi:98999}}

DRIP IRRIGATION SYSTEM:

{{gwi:99002}}

BENEFICIAL INSECTS: LADYBUGS

TRELLIS ROOF:

The roof serves both to:

1. Avoid overwatering or unplanned watering from heavy / long rains, and
    2. Protect from strong sun, for a few days, the recently planted seedlings / companion plants

• Jane_n.cal
    11 years ago

Very nice pictures, and nice tomato support system and overhead structure. A visual feast.

Jane

P.S. You are not alone. I do companion planting too.

• daniel_nyc
    11 years ago

Tx for the nice words. What companion plants do you use?

• Jane_n.cal
    11 years ago

Hi Daniel,

I am growing, in close proximity to the tomato plants, dill and Bishop's lace. When those flower, the tiny flowers attract parasitic wasps that parasitize the aphids lurking on the tomatoes. This has worked well for me: minimal aphids this year, no spraying needed. Other plants include basil and cilantro which, when allowed to bolt, attract beneficial insects. Parsley serves as haven for the lacewing bug, which is an aphid predator in its larval form. This is a work in progress. I have been educating myself over the past few years--attending lectures in my area, and googling ad nauseum the topic of "Attracting Beneficial Insects to the Garden." I have slowly begun to see some improvements.
    By the way, I have my own picture to post here...and would like to know how you copy the code from your image-hosting service onto this forum. Do copy (paste) the image code directly into the "Image updload" box? I tried doing that and it did not work; nothing copied. On the other hand, when I copied the code directly into the text message area, it appeared as code when "previewed", not as a photo. When the message is actually submitted, does the code then transform itself into a photo?

I am aware that one can also use the "Browse" feature to upload photo file from one's hard drive, however, I would rather go the image hosting service route (Photobucket in my case).

Jane

• daniel_nyc
    11 years ago

I use ImageShack which gives me 4-5 options of codes. I don,t know about Photobucket, but most likely it also gives you different options of codes. Copy and paste ALL those codes and see which one works.

• Jane_n.cal
    11 years ago

Test...

[IMG]http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l570/jane5056/Gar2012-005_Web3.jpg[/IMG]

Black Krim Kellogg's Breakfast & assorted reds

• daniel_nyc
    11 years ago

Use this code:

Title

In your case:

- URL = http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l570/jane5056/Gar2012-005_Web3.jpg and
    - Title = Black Krim Kellogg's Breakfast & assorted reds

In order for the code to work, remove the space in before âÂÂaâ in in .

You will get:

Btw, nice picture and nice tomatoes...

• daniel_nyc
    11 years ago

Sorry: In order for the code to work, remove the space in before the letter a in .

• Jane_n.cal
    11 years ago

Daniel, thank you for creating the link and for additional instructions.
    Apologies to all for cluttering up this thread with all my technical issues.
    Jane

• junktruck
    11 years ago

heres a few

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Nice. I would say more than a few :-))

• junktruck
    11 years ago

thats what im talkin about !!!

• daniel_nyc
    11 years ago

Beautiful...

I would replace the white bread with some Lithuanian bread, and I would add some Bulgarian cheese and

Yummy!

Luckly, we can get those, and MUCH more, here in New York.

11 years ago

Today's Black Cherry haul.

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Very nice.

• art_1
    11 years ago

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Better Bush picked today. Lovely tomatoes on a short stocky plant which is perfect for a container. Mine is in one. Produces well but the tomatoes have no flavor. Will not be planting them again next year.

• John A
    11 years ago

This made 7 quarts of sauce and I had a dozen toms left to take to Church.

• naturemitch
    11 years ago

Must add a few shots of our tomatoes!

Left to right: Black Cherry, Snow White, Sungold, and Galina's

German Giant. Just over 1 lb., there are bigger ones on the plant:)

Dagma's Perfection

Orange Russian 117. Very happy with these!

Overall, a great season for tomatoes....even with getting the plants out at least 7-10 days into June!!

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm