Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garf_gw

Supermarket Tomato Plants

garf_gw
9 years ago

I planted a few seeds from Supermarket tomatoes because I couldn't care for them because of hip surgery. I used my largest containers, 18 gallon recycling tubs. I put 2 plants in each and let them go. Now it's the rainy season, so I don't need to water them. The first 2 are doing very well, the second 2 are half the size. One of the first 2 is loaded with small tomatoes, the second pair has none.

Comments (45)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Generally, supermarket tomatoes are grown to have a longer shelf life plus not to be damaged /spoiled easily. So some of them are specially bred, grown hydroponically and also they are harvested very early and then gassed to get red. THOSE LAST TWO ARE THE REASONS WHY THEY DON'T TASTE VERY GOOD. so if you plant them in your garden , chances are that they will taste just fine.
    JMO

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

Supermarket tomatoes are almost always F1 hybrids, unless there's a special section of heirloom varieties.

You probably saved seeds from a hybrid, now the F2 seeds, and your plants will look different b'c what's going on is called gene segregation.

Hopefully one or more of theplants will have fruits that taste good to you. But if you save seeds from them, you won't necessarily get the same plants and fruits back b'c it takes many years of growing out, making selections until what you have is stable.

So at this point, a mystery. ( smile)

Carolyn

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So far only one of 4 plants have tomatoes, but it has 16 so far. Seems I have at least one good one. Hope it tastes good.

• ajames54
    9 years ago

seysonn wrote
    QuoteGenerally, supermarket tomatoes ...snip.. DON'T TASTE VERY GOOD.
    >end Quote

sadly it may even go beyond how they treat them..

Here is a link that might be useful: Tastelss Tomatoes

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I picked one tomato after it blushed before some creature got it, so we'll soon see what it tastes like.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Good move. Once they get color break you can pick them and let them sit on the counter to fully ripen. This way you beat the critters.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My wife just tasted the first tomato to ripen. She loved it. At least 16 more to go and hopefully more to come.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have picked 2 more tomatoes that blushed. I have the start of both disease and insect damage. I may need to start treatment soon. Plants #3 and 4 have started blooming and have one tomato each on them.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Plants 3 & 4 are loaded with blooms and are starting several tomatoes. I only hope the insects don't find them.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lets see if I can post some pics of the latest harvest of plants #3 & 4

• lr4ten
    9 years ago

That tomato plant grows bananas too!!!!

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wish. The banana is simply sharing the window sill.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

With heavy rains, half the remaining tomatoes have split. #2 plant has died. A few remain intact.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

With heavy rains, half the remaining tomatoes have split. #2 plant has died. A few remain intact.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This should be it till October. We will soon see.

• tjinpgh
    9 years ago

the weather is wreaking havoc with just about everything, I suspect. hard to get a good feel for what is good and what isn't this year, it would seem.

I agree with an earlier post that supermarket tomatoes frequently taste bad because of how they are processed.

One of our local farms grows Primo Red as their main crop. Early season, largely commercial variety. They sell them by the bushel at the end of the season as canning tomatoes, but I have found that they actually have pretty good flavor when allowed to go longer.

Not as good as many heirlooms, of course. But, still far and away better than that you're typically buy in the store.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Talking Supermarket Tomato Plants.

I have grown few from store bought tomatoes. But mine were from "Heilooms" not hybrids.

Here is one: I call it "Cherokee Purple LA(look alike)

It has not ripened yet. It will sit on the kitchen counter for a while.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Plant #4 has some life left in it. I have 4 green babies growing now. After #2 plant died, the remaining 2 plants are barely hanging on. I hope nothing gets these new tomatoes.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am up to 6 babies as of today. There are sill a few blooms left.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One of the 6 tomatoes on plant #4 is beginning to blush. Looks promising. Plant #3 has no leaves on it but the stems are still green, so I will leave it for now. Plant #1 has new leaves and a few blossoms on it. Temps should start falling soon so there is hope for the remaining plants survival. Remember, this is Miami.

This post was edited by garf on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 13:47

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Plant #3 is trying to grow leaves, but they are small and distorted. I will probably soon trash the plant.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I finally pulled #3 plant. #4 is still alive. #1 still has a few blossoms on it. I have started 8 more seeds, also supermarket tomato seeds. I now have 8 seedlings. We'll see how they do.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Plant #1 has been pulled. The 8 seedlings are doing well. I fertilized the tub that plants #1&2 were in and will transfer 2 seedlings to it shortly.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This will end this thread for me. I have 8 more Supermarket tomato seedlings started. The heat in Miami has just broken as we are so far south, so here we go again. I will start a new thread for this season.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These blooms are on the last surviving plant from the first batch of supermarket tomato plants. It managed to survive a Miami summer but not by much.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

so much for closing this thread. I have 2 sets of blooms on the surviving plant from batch 1. Here is one set of blooms.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have 2 babies on the lone survivor from the first batch of supermarket tomatoes. This plant managed to survive a Miami summer, and that's no small feat. Is it any wonder I am still pursuing these when I have a massive amount of seed on hand?

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tha babies are growing.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Out of 7 plants from 3 different batches, I now have 14 babies and many blooms. I have tied 2 branches of the lone survivor of batch 1 to the fence in different directions.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are some of the tomatoes growing on the lone survivor of the first batch of 4 plants.

• yardenman
    9 years ago

You have a great start, Garf! I cant even plant my seeds for 4 weeks.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's Miami. The rules are different here.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Current mater count including babies on all 7 plants is 24.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The last head count was 51 and I know there are more than that now. The lone survivor of batch 1 is going crazy pumping out tomatoes. A couple are showing the first signs of blushing.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the first blush tomato of the season on the only surviving plant from batch 1. It measures 1 3/4" in diameter. It will be 2 to 3 more days before it can be tasted. This also ends the head counts on all the plants. The final head count was 72.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I picked a second blushing tomato today, no more for now.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My official tomato taster ate the first tomato today. She loved it. I am amazed since the plant survived a Miami summer and still produced good tasting tomatoes. I hope the other plants do as well.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My official tomato taster just ate the second tomato and gave it her seal of approval. Looks like I will need to save seed from this plant for next season. I hope the others do as well.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This new system is a nightmare. It's almost not worth the effort.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I tried to examine 2 small tomatoes that I figured would be ready to pick tomorrow. They both fell off in my hands. On close examination, one had a tomato fruit worm in it. It will become the seed doner for next year.

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago

Did you find any more eggs and plan to hit the plant with Bt?

PC

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There is no way I could see eggs that small with my eyes. This is the first damage I have found yet from worms, but I did find rolled leaves which I crushed and green oozed out.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The lone surviving plant from batch 1 is looking bad, but It has a lot of smaller tomatoes still on it.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I found 2 giant hornworms and smeared them. They had damaged several greenies.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looks like my season is about over. I have 3 surviving backup plants I may plant to see what happens thru summer, but we'll see.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor