Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato Blossoms Dry Up

Posted by sanroc TX (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 24, 09 at 18:56

My container tomato plant has several blooms, however, each bloom is immediately drying up. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato Blossoms Dry Up

• Posted by suze9 z8b Bastrop Co., TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 24, 09 at 20:40

Tomato season is winding down in many parts of Texas (esp. central and south) - a little earlier than usual this year because of the heatwave and drought.

Blossom drop can be caused by a number of things, but in your case, it is most likely due to the unrelenting heat we've been experiencing both day/night. What can happen is that extended duration of heat kills (denatures) the pollen, so the blooms do not pollinate. Then they dry up and fall off.

Night temps matter even more than day temps, and because it has now been hot for so long w/o any let up, we aren't getting coolish nights any more.

If the plant still looks fairly healthy, move it to a more shady spot, and shake it every day. The shaking can sometimes help a little with pollination. However, it won't work miracles if the pollen is already denatured.

A good siting might be to move it where it gets good morning sun, but some shade the rest of the day. Like maybe on the east side of a tree or tall structure. Good luck.

Btw, now would be a good time to take some cuttings from your plant and root them for a fall crop.

o

Sanroc, i dont know the varities of toms you planted, but in tx. you need to get toms that set fruit well in heat, like homestead, manalucie,costoluto genovese,c-tex, porter etc.these all set fruit well in zone 8. hope this helps.

o

Sanroc, i dont know the varities of toms you planted, but in tx. you need to get toms that set fruit well in heat, like homestead, manalucie,costoluto genovese,c-tex, porter etc.these all set fruit well in zone 8. hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here