Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
over fertilizing tomato plants

Posted by veg_grower964 zone-7 (cc904b@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Jun 7, 09 at 18:57

what are the signs of over fertilizing tomato plants?
I mixed up 3 caps full of mircle grow organic choice 14-0-0
and a cap full of blackstrap molassis in 5 gallons of water 2 times and divided between 6 plants' there 3 feet tall with tomatos on them' now three days later my mortgage lifters leaves have brown burnt spots and yellow on the bottom half of plants. the top part looks ok except the plant has turned a different shade of green. I didnt splash no liquid on plant ;just around the bottom. the rest of my plants look fine.could it be something else like blight or something.

thanks

ED

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: over fertilizing tomato plants

I put on my reading glasses and got a closer look there is no yellow on leaves just brown burnt looking spots there even on the little green part of the blooms up high'couldn't see that without my glasses on. hope someone can help. i am going to purchase a camara tommorrow.

thanks again

ED

o

Sure it could be something else but without a picture it's impossible to know. But the timing would seem to tie it to the over-fertilization.

I'm not familiar with that particular product - "mircle grow organic choice 14-0-0" - but that is an awfully lot of nitrogen for plants that don't need nearly that much N. Especially when it contains nothing else in nutrients. IMO it's use is very questionable.

Did you mix it according to the directions or is 3 capfuls to 5 gallons more than the label calls for? And why the molasses? It isn't usually applied in that fashion.

If it is N burn the damaged leaves will fall off but if you can flush the plants with plain water to remove the excesses or at least dilute it, they may recover. If they do I'd suggest any future feedings be done with a mild and well balanced fertilizer of some kind - something that provides the phosphorus and potassium they need even more than nitrogen - and use diluted (1/2 strength) mix of it.

Dave

o

• Posted by kandm 8b coastal alabama (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 8, 09 at 11:28

I agree with Dave, tomatoes do not need a lot of nitrogen because all it does is cause pretty green leaves. I would find a product with a low amount of nitrogen and higher amounts of phosphorus and potassium. Also add epsom salt to each plant, about 1 tablespoon for every foot of height.

o

thanks for the advice.
the plant looks very much alive its just those brown spots on the leaves. ive learned my lesson with expermenting with to much fert ect. hope to have a camara soon.

thanks

ED

o

Question about epsom salts. What does that do for tomato plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here