Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rathbass1

Jet Star

rathbass1
16 years ago

First season growing tomatoes, picked this variety up simply because the name sounded cool - but now that they're really starting to take off, I figured I'd ask if anyone has ever grown them, what they taste like, what I should expect, any reviews really whatsoever. Thank you!

Comments (9)

• carolyn137
    16 years ago

Jet Star is a well known Harris hybrid and if you go to the search feature at the bottom of this page and enter JEt Star you'll find lots of links to threads here where it's been discussed/

It's one of the earlier hybrids bred by them along with Supersonic and Moreton Hybrid and I think those earliest ones have some of the best tastes I've found with hybrids. Alas Moreton Hybrid is no longer in production.

Note that Jet Star is documented low acid, one of the few so documented, so if using an open water boiling method for canning be sure to acidify the jar contents.

Carolyn

• koreyk
    16 years ago

How much acid would be needed.

• digdirt2
    16 years ago

2 T of bottled lemon juice per quart, 1 T per pint, is the standard recommendation in most canning books I think - I know it is the amount listed in the Ball Canning book. ;) Some elect to use 5% vinegar (4T per quart) instead but I don't like the flavor change it causes.

Jet Star has long been one of my favorites too. Hope you like them.

Dave

• tomakers
    16 years ago

Jet Star is one of my favorites too. A great tomato.
    Tom

• paulc_gardener
    16 years ago

I grew a lot of Jet Star in 1972, (3 1/2 acres). At that time I didn't know the difference between determinate and indeterminate plant varieties. We planted the feild in rows 4 ft apart and spaced at 3 ft. We just let them sprawl out. Sold most to a grocery chain of 6 stores and would replenish their supply every week. They would easily hold their quality for that week or more. Nice size and smooth skined. Good for canning and juice.

• kubotabx2200
    16 years ago

We are growing Jet Star hybrid this year. There is a lot to be said for having uniform shape, nice flavor, good yield, and disease resistance. They come in a little early which is nice too. To my palate the taste is right up there with some of the heirloom varieties: the same can also be said for Lemon Boy hybrid.

• MudPye
    16 years ago

This year I am growing Beefmaster, Jet Star and Supersonic. I grew Better Boy, Big Beef and Jet Star last year and out of the three, I really like the taste of Jet Star the most. I understand that Jet Star and Supersonic are similar and will be able to compare the two this year. I must confess that Jet Star is at the top of my list of 'must haves' now. Great texture and wonderful flavor.

• kubotabx2200
    16 years ago

I am growing Jet Star and Beefmaster too this year.

• lnlsmith_sbcglobal_net
    13 years ago

I am growing jet star for the first time this year. I have canned two different batches of salsa. The first I used a recipe using vinegar. The second I used is a recipe using no vinegar. I boiled the salsa before processing in hot water bath canner. Do I need to throw that batch away because of the low acidity?