Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
German Giant Heirloom

Posted by Hudson...WY Z3 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 19:41

Are any of you growing this heirloom variety now or in the past? This is the first year to try German Giant for us and we just cut open our first ripe tomato from these plants. The tomato appears to have more meaty flesh when compared to other heirloom varieties - the taste was good - but a bit dryer with somewhat less flavor than other varieties. It may have been a non-representative sample - the rest of the tomatoes on these plants are still green.

Please share any experience you may have had with this heirloom variety.

photo 37cec635-a385-4927-9a31-ce519fee2a52_zps2b802130.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: German Giant Heirloom

Hi Hudson,
I received bonus seed of German Giant one year, so I grew several. We found it to be blander than we like. But some people really like this tomato.
Jennie

o

Hi Jennie,
Thanks for your confirmation of what I feared - it is hard to know which heirlooms (or any variety for that matter) to try because the write-up in the seed catalogs make them all sound so delicious! They were a little bland for us too. We have some apparent possible 2 pounders in the making - not that it matters if they don't have the flavor to go along with the size!

photo image_zps664a5544.jpg

Have you grown the "Pink Lady Heirloom" variety? I would be interested in trying it if I could find someone that has had experience growing the variety - and could give me a positive reference .

o

I have not grown Pink Lady.

Jennie

o

Turns out the first tomato to ripen on the German Giant Heirloom tomato plants wasn't representative of this variety. Now we have many larger fruits ripening that show a much more flavorful juicy tomato! Many of these fruits are over a pound but are still slightly more bland when compared to other varieties IMO.

photo image_zps65352bfa.jpg

o

Looks delish to me. Can't see how something that looks so good could lack any flavor.

o

Hi Njitgrad,
Slightly gets ever so thinner as the season continues. You are right - just splitting hairs now. The German Giant variety has done well - a very hardy plant (almost 16' tall now) that sets fruit well - some very large.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here