Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do these deers have prehensile lips?

Posted by DMForcier 7 ATL (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 19:46

I'm missing tomatoes. San Marzanos. When they get big enough to be of interest, they vanish, usually leaving behind the stem and petals (?). The resident deer herd has given the occasional haircut - nothing too serious - but I have to suspect them. If they are indeed the perps, they are reaching into the plant and plucking the whole fruit with teeth and lips.

My friend thinks it is raccoons but they would have to climb up into the plant and there is no sign of broken branches etc. Plus we don't have many of the little buggers.

One would tend to suspect the human variety, but no one ever goes back there, and the toms are quite green when they enter the realm of lost veg.

Huh?

Dennis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do these deers have prehensile lips?

• Posted by noinwi Z8 Kitsap Peninsula (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 18:24

When I was growing maters in Wisconsin, the local deer would pluck them off of the plant, but if green, would not eat them after biting into them. Look around on the ground(s) for your green toms with bite marks. It was very sad to find a big bite in a large green beefsteak that would have been a pound or more...very sad indeed.

o

Do you have squirrels?

o

Squirrels are everywhere. Hadn't considered them. Somehow the discussion on swallows from Monty Python and the Holy Grail seems to resonate with the suggestion, though.

There are no pieces of mater anywhere. These are in containers in a wagon (the Going to the Sun Wagon) and the wagon floor would catch anything dropped. Nothing around it, either.

o

Hmm... I'd think either squirrels or deer would leave trace evidence (or coconuts) behind...

An example of squirrel desecration of tomato (graphic, and may be disturbing!)

o

I had one tomato today where SOMETHING took a good sized bite then chucked the rest of the mater in my backyard. :-(

Any decent deterrents to use on the fruit?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here