Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
watson524

Is this septoria?

watson524
10 years ago

I know just enough about growing tomatoes in containers to get the job done but certainly not nearly what I need to know. I was watering this morning and noticed spots on the lower leaves of all 3 of my container plants (one is about 15' from the others and the others are about a foot apart on the deck). One has just started to set fruit and the other 2 are in the blossom stage.

I looked at our Penn State co-op extension page and I THINK it's Septoria but can someone confirm? And if so, is Daconil what I need to go get?

thanks!

Comments (11)

• cboy
    10 years ago

Last year I had your problem and used Daconil with fair results. I don't believe i sprayed with it often enough. This year I'm still using Daconil and my plants are waist high and no diease. Depending on how much it rains I spray about every 8 to 10 days. I spray on the light side. I hope I'm not spraying to much.

• fcivish
    10 years ago

Looks like septoria to me. I assume you DID NOT fertilize with some granular fertilizer, while your plants were wet, because granular fertilizer sticking to the leaves could cause a similar pattern. But it looks like septoria.

• watson524
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nope, the granular fertilizer/calcium is from planting. Miracle Grow stuff that you mix in and also put some on the top of the soil so nothing there touched the leaves.

I guess I'll take off the leaves with the issue (is it odd it's on all of them? they came as small plants from Lowes, I didn't grow them from seed) and then spray and cross my fingers.

thanks!

• watson524
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I got some Copper Fungicide spray by Bonide from the local Agway and sprayed away so hopefully that every week or so will sort this out.

• fcivish
    10 years ago

I think you are probably doing the right thing. It's too bad that it seemed to come from commercial plants that you bought, but it happens. Septoria apparently has hundreds or maybe even thousands of species of fungus included in the genus and is pretty much everywhere, among many many types of plants, but it only spreads if conditions are right.

• watson524
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Of course, after I had sprayed pretty heavily and they had dried again, about 2 hours later we got a pop up thunderstorm. I probably won't spray again right away but might not wait the 7 - 8 days and do it more like 3 or 4 days out.

• robeb
    10 years ago

If that pop up tstorm hit them hard, I'd be spraying tomorrow.

Daconil is a better preventative than copper

• sheltieche
    10 years ago

yep, that is what I have too, and unfortunately, many of other gardens in our community plots. It is almost end of the June and I have not had a need to water gardens yet, cept at planting- transplanting time. I did use Copper last week and it is not getting worse but is not stopping new spots from creating, and we just had another round of rains.

• watson524
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This seems to be getting worse. The last week had rain every day in mass quantities and it's hotter than heck right now in NE PA but yesterday and today, no rain. The leaves are turning yellow from the bottom up and coming off. I gave them a heavy spray of copper yesterday and honestly, it looks like it accelerated the problem. I'm cutting off as much as I can but geez, how much is safe to take off? They are setting fruit and all but this still cannot be good.

• sheltieche
    10 years ago

Watson524, to date my garden is not getting worse but also is not better. To add to copper I have done Serenade and have just introduced actinovate.

• watson524
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yep this is not going well. And unfortunately, I am leaving tonite and won't be back until Wednesday nite so I'm not sure what I'm going to come back to. My husband can keep them watered and I'll spray with copper tonite but it seems to continue to be traveling up and I'm afraid to trim any more off and now it's attacking the green part of the flowers.... Maybe not septoria but some kind of blight? What does one do about that?