Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
topaz72

fertilizing

topaz72
11 years ago

This is my first year planting tomatoes. i planted three plants in the ground and mulched. My question is how often to use fertilizer on them and how close to the plant do i put it? I have MG for tomatoes. Thanks in advance.

Comments (10)

• dickiefickle
    11 years ago

What does it suggest on the container ?

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

As Dickie said your choice of fertilizer will determine how much of it and how often you use it. Just follow the label directions as they vary greatly from band to brand.

Dave

• wjtjr
    11 years ago

new to the form.

really looking for some thoughts on tomatoe ferterlizer.
    was told the stuff I am using nitrogens content (18%) is
    to high. would appreciate any help. maybe the best numbers or just the name of a good fertilizer.

TIA

God Bless America
    Trap

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Hi Trap - type 'fertilizer' into the forum search bar at the bottom of the front page for many discussions and recommendations. Are you looking for organic ferts or synthetic? For containers or in-ground plants? For just a few plants or many? And how would you normally apply it?

I use fertigation for my plants - fertilize as I water with a drip system - so unless you do the same my personal preferences wouldn't be of much help.

Dave

• wjtjr
    11 years ago

Dave

did not think about any of the things you said. figured a mater plant was a mater plant LOL

I have mine in containers, was mixing miracle grow with water and fertilizing that way, have 7 beef stake and 3 cherry plants, as for organic or synthetic I really don't care.

thanks for the questions so I had enough sense to post the info needed.

thanks again

God Bless America
    Trap

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

If you don't car about type then what you already have can be used. Standard recommendation for container plants is to feed them 1x a week with a full strength solution of it. If the soil-less mix in the containers drains really well you can go with 1/2 strength more frequently since nutrients leach out every time you water.

If you have already mixed in a good granular fertilizer before planting then once week is usually enough.

This is assuming you are using good size containers of 10 gallons or bigger so that they don't have to be watered multiple times a day. If you are using small containers that require frequent watering then you'll need to feed more often.

Keep in mind that particular fertilizer is noted for being high in salts that can build up in your soil so you may wish to consider alternating it with something else now and then.

Dave

• wjtjr
    11 years ago

Dave

thanks for your help/info

have a good day

God Bless America
    Trap

• capoman
    11 years ago

There's a lot FUD about fertilizer out there, but keep this in mind: The plant's own makeup is approximately 3-1-2 ratio so, any fertilizer in that range should be fine. In the late stages of fruit development, you may want to reduce N to slow down leafy growth so the plant will concentrate it's energy on the remaining fruit. At this point, a food with ratio 1-1-1 is usually sufficient. It's simpler then you think. Any tomato specific fertilizer is probably best used during fruiting. In the vegetative stage 3-1-2 is appropriate.

• miesenbacher
    11 years ago

One of the better tomato ferts I have found is Floramato which is 2-1-3 ratio which should work well for you. Ami

Here is a link that might be useful: Floramato

• robertz6
    11 years ago

Read the directions. Even then you might encounter problems. The neighbor two yards over has plants as big as mine, but no fruit while my first cherry toms are ripening now. (Zone 6)

He claims he followed the directions on the MG red tomato food and used it three times. I use compost, compost tea, and maybe one dose of slow-release tomato food. Told him a too rich diet of nitrogen is also thought to increase Blossom end rot too, and maybe some seaweed extract spray on leaves might be a good idea (Rodale book).