Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big Boy tomatoes stopped growing

Posted by Blaby none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 23, 12 at 20:06

I purchased two Big Boy tomatoes plants at a local farmers market. They both grew to the height of about 12 inches and are very "bushy". About 3 weeks ago the leaves "rolled up". Since then both plants stop growing and shows no new leaves. About 1.5 weeks ago they started to grow several tomatoes. My Roma and Cherry tomatoes are doing just fine. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big Boy tomatoes stopped growing

Looks like physiological leaf roll to me which occurs with some varieties when the root mass and above ground stem and foliage mass are out of balance which usually occurs when the plants are young and at 12 inches your two plants certainly are young..

That should straighten out soon and probably all will be well.

Carolyn

o

I thought it was physiological leaf roll but wasn't able to find any information if lack of new leaves was a symptom.

o

Any chance these were actually Bush Big Boy plants and not regular Big Boy? I have several Bush Big Boy plants growing and while they don't have the leaf roll problems they are about that size and shape. Standard Big Boy has much longer node-to-node lengths than that plant does.

Dave

o

Blaby, maybe, if physiological leaf roll the root mass has to increase before new foliage will appear based on what I wrote above.

And maybe Daves suggestion that it's Bush Bog Boy plants that you're growing.

Carolyn

o

Thanks Dave & Carolyn. After looking at pictures, I may have planted Bush Big Boy tomatoes. I just surprised that there hasn't been any new growth in at least 3 weeks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here