Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nitrogen mistake?

Posted by TraciL13 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 20:09

This forum is great! This is only my second year with a garden. Last year's garden was a dissaster frought with wilt and disease. I read about rotating my crops and planted the tomatoes in a different location with some cucumber plants. I also planted corn in another raised bed. Well I read on one of the forums that my corn was turning yellow because of nitrogen def. And yelow cukes need lot of nitrogen also. So, to take care of my yellowing corn and be proactive with my cukes, I added blood meal to the soil. Some of my tomato flowers are turning brown or blackish. I am wondering if my tomato plants are reacting to the nitrogen I gave to the cukes? Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nitrogen mistake?

I don't rotate my tomato location, but essentially grow them year after year in approximately the same location. As for fertilizer, I tend to try to make healthy soil with fair amounts of compost and organic matter, and I fertilize lightly, and then only at the early part of the year. Wish I could tell you more about your own fertilizer situation.

o

It is possible that you have over done it. Did you follow the instruction as HOW MUCH?HOW to apply ?

o

• Posted by bets z6A S ID (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 9:56

Blossom drop can be the result of too much nitrogen.

Betsy

Here is a link that might be useful: Blossom Drop FAQ

o

I have volunteer tomato growing between onion rows . I let it grow to see what will happen, it's now with fruits and lots of flower. Before the onion start bulbing the onion where fertilize by 21-0-0 every 2 to 3 weeks . I also put eggplant next to it to see what will happen .Now the eggplant has flowers.

o

Thanks for the responses. I followed the instructions on how much nitrogen to put on the cukes and corn, but am afraid the amount may have been too much for the tomatoes. I read the FAQ on blossom drop and it says that calcium can sometimes reverse the effects of the nitrogen in the tomatoes. Has anyone used egg shells successfully?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here