Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homestead Tomatoes

Posted by sweetannie4u midOK_z6b/7a (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 12, 07 at 20:13

My first year growing this variety. I know little about the plant characteristics - how tall, and etc. Supposed to be able to take the heat and humidity and still make nice round red tomatoes. They seem to be a popular tomato in this part of the state for those who buy their tomato plants from plant nurseries instead of WalMart &etc.
I Googled it and found info about the fruit...but how tall will the plants grow? Mine are only about 18 inches tall and already have fruit! They sure have sturdy stems. I have no idea if they will need to be staked or caged or how to grow them. So far they don't seem to need any support. They aren't growing much, so am wondering if these little gals stay small like this.
I am also wondering what they taste like. I love my heirlooms so am spoiled to their special tastes, but no offended with any good tasting tomato, no matter what variety it may be.
As for my other tomatoes which I grew from seed: Viva Italia, Roma, Super Sweet 100s, Pink Brandywine, Costulato Genovese, Aunt Ruby's German Green, Beefmaster, Garden Peach and Goliath. Oh and a little novelty-type tomato I am trying this summer - Red Robin. Grown in a small decorative pot, they only grow into 7-9 inch plants, but the topmost is covered in tiny, sweet tomatoes, giving the plant's rounded shape its red top and hence the name. They started off so small and were very slow growing, but with the onset of summer-like weather, they have taken off and have now grown to their full height and are now starting to put on tomatoes. I can't wait to see how they look and taste as summer progresses.

Ooops. I digressed...so, any info about growth characteristics for Homestead Tomatoes would be appreciated.

I love Tomatoes!
~ SweetAnnie4U

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homestead Tomatoes

There's been quite a number of Homestead variants over the years. I think it's way past no. 40 by now.

I've grown no. 2, it was shorter than other varieties I grew that year, but not by a lot. It was 4 foot plus, if I recall. Pretty good flavor, not knock your socks off, but good enough to grow again.

HOMESTEAD IMPROVED NO 2.
83 days, large red fruit, flattended globe, thick walls and firm, crack resistant, vine determinate. Reselected this strain for uniformity and high yield. Peto Seed Co. descr. 1960. Seed obtained from the National Center for Genetic Resources Preservation, Colorado NSL 5840

And here's no. 24, off a list I found online:

HOMESTEAD 24- Rich red, uniform fruits averaging 7 oz. that set under almost any conditions. Raised worldwide. Open pollinated.

-Ed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here