Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes taste funny?

Posted by Cecek1016 Indiana (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 20:17

I tried to grow some tomatoes this year for the first time and it is called tomato "celebrity" I picked the first two and they seemed pretty ripe. I tasted it and its very salty almost a little spicy kind of....weird. But I didnt finish it until i know if Its normal or a bad tomato? Thanks for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes taste funny?

Taste is a very personal thing. What tastes sweet and great to one person would taste spicy and blah to others and vice-versa.

Also taste of the tomato will vary greatly depending on the growing conditions you provide. So the same variety will taste different from different gardens. Lastly, the first fruits off most any plant may taste different than the later ones simply because of weather effects.

Celebrity is a very common variety grown by many. It has never been known for its wonderful flavor, it is a market growers variety, but some folks love it.

Is it a "bad tomato"? No. Try some of the later fruit and see if you like them better. If not it's time to try a different variety.

Dave

o

Cecek,

Those tomatoes are clearly rubbish. Don't eat them. Better let me handle it and send them ALL to me! ;)

o

Thank u for the replies. Just needed another opinion. No one eats tomatoes at my house. :)

o

Salty and spicy? That's the way I like 'em.

That being said, if it's not a pleasant salty/spicy, could be due to excessive fertilizer salts in the fruit. Some suggest flushing plants a week before harvest with plain water to eliminate fertilizer taste, but that usually only works with determinates. Reducing nitrogen is not a bad idea though for any type during fruiting.

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 13:55

You are probably used to the horrid things you get at groceries stores, they ain't supposed to taste like those.

o

LOL, RpR, you are right. I know I always get disappointed when the season is over and have to buy fresh tomatoes at the store again. They just seem tasteless in comparison.

o

"Fresh tomatoes from the store"... haha. Good joke.

o

nothing like a bacon lettuce and styrofoam sandwich!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here