Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shay_mason

Celebrity tomatoes not bearing fruit?

Shay_Mason
9 years ago

My daughter and I have had this plant since March and it is growing nicely but no tomatoes yet. It bloomed and then the buds just died. I see there are a few new buds forming. What have we done wrong or what should I do differently? This is our first time. Thank you.
Shay

Comments (14)

• suvoth
    9 years ago

Well, I really don't know but I will say that looks like a very small pot.

• Shay_Mason
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm kind of scared to transplant it. Would I kill it?

• jimmy56_gw (zone 6 PA)
    9 years ago

Sure looks like too small of a pot, Grab it down at the bottom of the stem and pull easy, You should be alright to transplant.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

If that's a clay pot I'd just break it off the root ball. Then carefully repot, water, no food, shade for a couple of days and then sun.
    I've broken pots off with a hammer and never lost a plant or even a tree.

• Shay_Mason
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've heard that I have to transplant it sideways. Is that true. I have a large pot to put it in so I would love to do that. But I don't have a green thumb.. I kill everything in sight and am surprised it's lasted this long. If I have to plant it sideways or laying at an angle I'm not sure it will survive. I'm comfortable with removing it from the pot. It's just the stress of replanting it. Thanks again and sorry for all the questions.

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

Yes, it's a way-too-small pot, but that probably wouldn't keep some fruit from setting over the course of 3 months.

Where are you, and what are the temperatures (daily high and low)?

How many hours of direct sun per day does the plant receive?

• Deeby
    9 years ago

Don't go for sideways at this point. Just plant it deep. Like several inches past the soil line it's at now.

• ricman
    9 years ago

Hello Shay,

I would look for a container that would hold around 5 gallons of potting mix like miracle grow or stagreen. It needs to be a potting mix not soil. A 5 gallon bucket with some holes drilled in the bottom or even a Wal-Mart shopping bag. Here is a picture of my Celebrity tomatoes in reusable Wal-Mart shopping bags.....50 cents each

Rick

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

Add 25% perlite for better drainage.

• Shay_Mason
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Im in cali, sacramento area. It gets about 80-90 during the day sometimes higher and 50-60 at night. I took it out of direct sun cuz the sun was beating it up pretty good. Its doing better with indirect sunlight. Tomorrow I will get the new pot ready to transplant it and ill see where it goes from there. I will also add the perlite. I like the walmart shopping bag idea. Thats pretty genious! Thank you everyone for the info. I feel more confident now.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

I have my Patio tomato in a Walmart bag. Great minds think alike !

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I don't think pot size (being small) is the reason for not fruiting. I have seen plants in 2 inch square cells setting and growing fruits. In my opinion, small pot size should encourage early fruit setting even though the fruits might not grow very big.
    So I suspect other reasons, such as nutrients issue.

• Shay_Mason
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seysonn - thank you. I will pay attention to the soil also. What nutrients are most important for tomatoes?

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

When daytime temps approach the mid-90s, fruit won't set.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH