Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ugly Bottoms of my Tomatoes

Posted by Avocado101 9A Southern Californ (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 20:21

This is my first time growing Black Krims.
They are growing well, but many look deformed.
Is this normal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ugly Bottoms of my Tomatoes

That is called catfacing - lots of discussions here about it that you can read through. It is basically weather related at the time of pollination.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Catfacing discussions

o

Have you had some cool nights? I think that is a contributing factor. It is not attractive but shouldn't affect the taste.

Later fruit should be fine.

o

They are not growing well if they are deformed and the leaves are all curled up and twisted like in your pictures.
Looks like you have a viral disease

o

I don't see any signs of a viral disease, but it does look like hornworms have been munching on the plant in the first photo.

The leaf roll could be too much water, too little water, or even the stress of the heavy fruit load. Unfortunately it does make it easier for the hornworms to hide: their pale stripes look just like the veins on the rolled leaves.

o

When in doubt about hornworms, wait until it gets dark and take a handheld blacklight out and scan the plants with it. Hornworms fluoresce under blacklight just like scorpions. Makes them easy to pick out when they're literally glowing in the dark.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here