Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yes it's hot but...

Posted by dobieone Zone 9 CA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 20:27

Hey what gives with my tomato plant? I have deep watered it the last couple days because our weather has been high 90's. but today a couple of my plants looked like the photo...what is causing it do you think?

Thanks

(Hope the pic posts properly!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yes it's hot but...

Really looks like wilt from the heat. The plants should be ok.

I'm in sacramento. Forecast 108 in a few days!!

o

It doesnt look like you have any mulch around those plants. In that kind of heat, a 6-8" layer of mulch will help keep the roots cooler and keep your water from evaporating.

o

I'd mulch heavily and water. Might consider some shade cloth to help them recover. Any chance the roots have been disturbed by a mole or something?

o

I'm having the same problem on the coast! It's hot, but only the low 80's. They seem to recover so far at night, but it looks like tobacco drying! I'm using straw, but maybe I should make a thicker layer. Also, I'm keeping the straw about 6" from the base of the plant to prevent mold. I'm not sure if that gap is a problem or if it's really important.

o

After few cloudy and cool days, when we got a warm sunny day, some younger leave on my EG was wilting. The other plans were ok.
Normally I water early in the morning. But during HOT days I water after sun down, to cool off the roots and intake enough water to battle the next day's heat. In such conditions, a good thick layer of mulch can help a great deal, that act like thermal insulation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here