Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenniedhs_7_tn

Lead curl, but what else is going on?

Jennie Sims
12 years ago

My tomatoes are severely stressed and I don't know why. I had some herbicide damage in May and lost several plants to that. I was able to get replacements from Craig. But now I have severe leaf curl of all the plants and the replacements are showing symptoms also. The new growth of all the plants seems deformed. I only have 11 plants and have never seen this type of problem in all my years growing tomatoes. Some info: they are planted in the ground. I dug deep holes and mixed in compost and manure and plant tone fertilizer early spring. Very cold and rainy May, very hot and dry June. They are on a drip system to get one gallon every 4 days early June, but when the 90's set in and no rain I changed the drip to every 3 days. Absolutely no bugs at all. Even the dwarfs are suffering. They are not putting out any new growth and stems on blossoms are breaking. I have tried posting pictures for the first time. Any help would be so appreciated. If pictures don't show up would someone be so kind as to walk me through this process. I have opened a photo bucket account. Thank you, Jennie

[IMG]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z334/jenniedhs/a69313f1.png[/IMG][IMG]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z334/jenniedhs/706f90ea.png[/IMG]

Comments (20)

• terrybull
    12 years ago

no photos

• Jennie Sims
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tried tip photos per instructions. Did not work. Any help

• Jennie Sims
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tried tip photos per instructions. Did not work. Any help

• riceloft
    12 years ago

Here ya go.

• KMKacan
    12 years ago

Could it be the manure? I have heard that if you put to much manure you can fry your plants. I'm not sure though. My guess ... to much of one nutrient or not enough of one.

Happy Gardening,
    -Kristina K.

Here is a link that might be useful: Urban Farm Wife

• Bets
    12 years ago

They are on a drip system to get one gallon every 4 days early June, but when the 90's set in and no rain I changed the drip to every 3 days.

As a general rule, tomatoes need an inch of water every week. An inch of rain is exactly that, water that is one inch deep. One inch of rainfall equals 4.7 gallons of water per square yard. Cool weather or soil with lots of clay needs will be less, hot weather or sandy soil will need more. Your poor tomatoes are getting 2 gallons per week, about half of what they need if your soil has average drainage.

Dig down with your finger about 4", is the growing medium wet, dry, or just right? If it is wet, don't water, if dry then water. If it is just right, check again the next day. Water deeply once or twice a week.

Betsy

• Jennie Sims
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hope I am not posting this twice again! Thank you Riceloft for posting the pictures for me. Kristina, I don't think it is too much manure as only a trowel full went into the holes dug in mid April. The new plants that went in a couple of weeks ago are exibiting the deformed leaves on new growth and I would think the manure would be diluted by now. But it could be some lack of nutrient as you suggest. Betsy, I try so hard not to overwater my plants that I think you are right about underwatering. I know that might be the answer to the leaf curl, but would it also contribute to the deformed leaves on new growth. I will try to get a better picture (and reread how to post it!) to show the deformed growth. I appreciate all your thoughts.

Jennie

• karendee
    12 years ago

link to instructions for photos attached for you!

I have some leaf curl too but mine is the smaller new leaves at the top of the plant.

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/neweng/2007014019017474.html

Here is a link that might be useful: http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/neweng/2007014019017474.html

• Jennie Sims
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is a picture of a recently planted Aunt Ruby's German Green. It exhibits no leaf curl, but does have new growth showing the same deformed leaves on my earlier planted tomatoes. The leaves on the left branch are skinny and look like only half the leaf developed. On the top branch the new leaves are wound in a spiral almost. To the extreme left under the healthy looking leaves at the top is more new growth with deformed leaves. Sorry it is a little out of focus, I took the picture too close. Herbicide in the neighbors yard has not been sprayed in weeks prior to this being planted so it's not herbicide damage. Is this a disease? Or could this be attributed to underwatering? Thank you for taking another look at this.
    Jennie

• mulio
    12 years ago

They both show signs of 2,4-D damage

possibly cucumber mosiac virus

BUT

chemical companies are pushing the ester based forms of 2,4-D as "more effective" than the amine (more stable, less volatile but slow acting form). As a result, more damage will be seen when these products are used even on days with light wind.

Products like "Speedzone" and "Fertilome: WeedFree Zone" are two recent market examples of ester based 2,4-D being marketed to home owners and picked up by lawn treatement companies.

We best just get used to it since homeowners want quick kills.

Oh as and added bonus, the ester based forms are more likely to be contaminated with higher levels of dioxin too.

• Jennie Sims
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Mulio,
    I was certain it wasn't herbicide damage as the lawn company servicing the neighbor's yard assured me they would call if they planned on spraying with herbicides again. But I think you are right, it is 2,4-d damage. I have spent the last hour looking at pictures on the different tomato forums and the 2,4-d damage in the pictures matches the deformity in my leaves exactly. Darn it all. I was so looking forward to a good tomato year. Maybe I'll still get some tomatoes this year and move garden next year to the side the neighbor does nothing to her lawn except have it mowed. God Bless her, and her dandelions and crab grass!

Jennie

• Bets
    12 years ago

Jennie,

Your plants may still produce tomatoes. Many plants seem to outgrow the 2,4-d damage and hopefully yours will.

You may want to contact the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) about the enforcement of the regulations on spraying weed killer, then let the lawn company know you have spoken with them. Then perhaps you will be notified when they are about to spray. Sometimes it is good to be considered a trouble maker.

Betsy

Here is a link that might be useful: EPA Enforcement

• banannas
    12 years ago

Betsy always with the great advice. I have clipped so many of your posts. You should have your own tomato talk show on HGTV. I'd watch it!

• mulio
    12 years ago

In NC it is the NCDA the would come and inspect/take samples.

That contact should be Mike Mitchell - Michael.Mitchell@ncagr.gov though he may have you contact someone in your county.

http://www.ncagr.gov/SPCAP/pesticides/insp.htm

Thing is with ester based forms the drift and therefore the point source(s) can be harder to pin down.

Still you should report it. If enough people report damage the states may rethink allowing ester based forms use and sale.

• Jennie Sims
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Betsy and Mulio,
    I am going to take specimens from all my tomato plants to the cooperative extension agency this morning to be sure this is herbicide damage vs. cucumber mosaic virus before I contact the NCDA. If this is herbicide damage I am definitely going to report this. All of my tomato plants have been effected. I was mad in May when this happened to three of my plants. I contacted the landscape maintenance company who at first poohed poohed it as the weather, but upon my insistence promised they would call before spraying. I even approached the young man working on the yard and he promised he would take every precaution to ensure there wasn't any drift. Luckily I was able to get replacements from Craig of the ones I had lost. Now I am just really really disappointed. It's too late to replant. I am trying all new varieties of heirlooms this year and three of the dwarfs from the dwarf tomato project. I do have some fruit set so hopefully the plants will pull through.
    Jennie

• Jennie Sims
    Original Author
    12 years ago

One look from the county horticulturist at the extension service and he said "2,4-D". The head of the extension service was there also and confirmed it as 2,4-D damage. Karendee, thank you for the link on how to post pictures. I had just figured it out when you posted, but appreciate you taking the time. Appreciate so much everyone's input. Now to see if I can put a stop to this and maybe get some tomatoes out of the plants that aren't so badly damaged.

Jennie

• Jennie Sims
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Most of my tomato plants have been decimated by repeated herbicide drift including the replacements I planted in June after the landscape maintenance co. assured me they would call before spraying. After confirmation from the extension service earlier this month that it was 2'4D damage I got a gift card in the mail from the company for $25 and a note that said "they apologize for any damages they MAY have done but hopefully with the modifications we BOTH have in place it will not occur again.". Sending the gift card back! After more damage last week I have totally had it. Sent a letter to the NC ag and consumer agency.

• zzackey
    12 years ago

So sorry you have had so much trouble. Maybe a letter to the editor of the local paper is in order.

• jean001a
    12 years ago

As I posted in your update, perhaps clopyralid or aminopyralid contamination of manures & compost. Symptoms are essentially the same as from 2,4-D.
    http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/soilmgmt/Clopyralid.htm

Describes an easy bioassay gardeners can do without having the plant analyzed.

Here is a link that might be useful: contaminated organic matter

• karensnowj
    11 years ago

Tomato Leaves that curl like a fiddlehead fern? Read up on Aminopyralid residues in compost and manure! I had the honor of having 8 tomatoes take a dive! and beans, peppers. spinach and eggplant too. The herbcides are made by Dow chemical and will pass through horses and cows to the manure, then take a year or more to break down. This Sucks!

Here is a link that might be useful: herbacide contamination of organic matter

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?