Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grasshoppers!

Posted by dallis_rene none (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 20:53

I'm growing early girl tomatoes in containers. I found some green grasshoppers on the plants. I was told they are bad but how do I keep them away? Any organic and preferably non-killing methods would be appreciated.

On a side note when should I pull the tomatoes off the plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grasshoppers!

You should be fine. Grasshoppers typically don't eat tomato plants. Tomatoes are part of the nightshade family, and their leaves are toxic to most insects. Horn worms are what you need to watch out for. They will eat an entire tomato plant in a day or two.

Here is a link that might be useful: horn worm pic

o
RE: Grasshoppers!

Dallis_rene, you can pick tomatoes when they start blushing (getting their first pink or other final color). Most people agree picking them when they start ripening and then letting them finish inside improves the texture, and provides less opportunity for critters to go after them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here