Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something cutting off tomato branches

Posted by i_am_gray 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 21:07

My biggest tomato plant which is roughly around 2 feet is losing its branches, or rather something is chopping them off. First i thought it might be the wind because it was around 20 mph for a couple of days but when I went on a almost non-windy day one of the top branches was cut. Another thing I should not is that when I was re-potting the plants I found these fat small worms, which I think might be cutworms but I'm not a %100 sure.

And all the stuff I've read on cutworms is that they attack stems, not branches, unless I'm wrong. So if someone knows whats going on I would be grateful. Also these worms did not go for the smaller plants which the smallest is about four inches tall.

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something cutting off tomato branches

i_am_gray, are you growing in containers? What is your planting medium (dirt, potting mix, etc.)?

What size and color are the "fat small worms" you found?

Am I correct in understanding that you are finding the branches on the ground? Are leaves missing, or is the only damage the branch being removed from the plant? Does the break look like a cut ... or does it look chewed ... or does it look torn? Photos would help, if possible.

Are these "branches" suckers, compound leaves, or flower clusters?

o
RE: Something cutting off tomato branches

Yes i do grow my plants in containers because there are too many critters running around my backyard. I'm using potting mix, mixed with a bit of manure.

Well i would guess that the worms were about half to an inch big and when I picked them up they curled into balls and they were a off-white slightly gray in color. I found one branch on the ground and another one was almost cut off but not completely so it was hanging down and it literally feels like someone took a knife to the branches. I think the only damage so far is the branches being removed but I'm not a %100 sure.
I'll post pics up as soon as i can and as for what types of branches they are I'm not entirely sure but I'll have the info asap too.

Thank you for replying and helping :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here