Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulns

Purple Plum = Black Plum? Any good?

paulns
15 years ago

A friend gave me ten heirloom tomato packets she bought at an Eco Fair, from a lady who grows the tomatoes, saves seeds and sells them in home made packets. "Purple Plum" germinated well and I didn't have the heart to chuck any seedlings so now I have 8 of them, plus 30 more plants, ready to grow in the greenhouse or soon to go outdoors (it's been a cold spring here). Google and Gardenweb searches don't turn up much info on 'purple plum' - ?

Comments (6)

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

Paul, I've never seen anyone refer to a Purple PLum and therefore I can't tell you if it might be Black Plum.

Given that no one else has answered you in a couple of days if it were me I'd contact the person who produced the seeds.

Most of the time those who pack up their own seeds put contact info there. If not, then ask your friend if she knows who the lady was or contact the Eco Fair folks to trace her back.

Carolyn

• paulns
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Carolyn, I did manage to track down an address for the lady and have sent my question to her. Maybe she doesn't know any more herself. But I hope it's Russian black plum, which sounds good.

• paulns
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just got an interesting reply from the seed seller.

"...the purple plums came originally from Windhorse farm in New Germany, just outside Bridgewater (Nova Scotia). My understanding was that they were heritage varieties that the Wentzell clan had been toying with for about 150 yrs, so there may be no real refernce for them...I can tell you what I know, they are about 2" in size deep purple/red flesh, great for sauces or slicing, rich flavour."

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

Paul, the best thing for you to do is to grow Black Plum and your Purple PLum at the sane time in the same season and see if you see any differences.

I've grown Black Plum and it is a very dark color, and even more so when grown in southern areas. Purple means pink to many folks and purple was the word used to describe pink fruits years ago starting in the late 1800's, as in Prudens Purple, which is Pink, Eva Purple Ball, which is pink, and many more.

So do try comparing the two under the same conditions.

Carolyn

• rickh
    15 years ago

[quote]Just got an interesting reply from the seed seller.

"...the purple plums came originally from Windhorse farm in New Germany, just outside Bridgewater (Nova Scotia). My understanding was that they were heritage varieties that the Wentzell clan had been toying with for about 150 yrs, so there may be no real refernce for them...I can tell you what I know, they are about 2" in size deep purple/red flesh, great for sauces or slicing, rich flavour." [/quote]

• nwheritagegardener
    9 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I am hoping that the OP or someone else might be able to help me find seeds for this variety. I came across the thread while I was searching for Nova Scotia heirlooms today. I am actually descended from the Wentzell family and so would so love to be able to grow these tomatoes!

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz