Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cablestarman

Watering including rainfall

cablestarman
10 years ago

This may be a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway.

So, I watered the tomatoes as usual last week - I water about 3 times a week about a gallon per plant each time (slowly with drip irrigation). We haven't had much rain, but got a total of 3 inches over the weekend - according to my rain gauges. I have excellent drainage in the beds and no standing water. My question is how do I compensate for the rainfall? Should I hold off a week until I water again? The soil consists of years of manure, green compost, coffee grounds, sweet peet, and clay.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts
Dave

Comments (9)

• TomatoLoverOR
    10 years ago

Rainday counts as a watering day.

Early in season when not too hot water twice per week, I water on Monday and Wednesday, enough to go 8 inches deep, about a gallon of water.

When it gets hotter in summer, then 3 times per week, I water Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.... in mornings so soil heats up for evening.

Most problems with tomatoes comes from inconsistent watering.. or over watering and over fertilizing.

• TomatoLoverOR
    10 years ago

Early in season, I meant to say: Water twice per day, I water Monday and Thursday.

• qaguy
    10 years ago

Watering needs is a moving target. You must keep the
    soil a constant moisture level for best results.

Dig down a bit and see how moist the soil is and
    adjust constantly to keep it at the proper moisture.

Rather a generic non-answer, I know, but you can't get
    into watering a certain number of days for a certain length of time.

Sunlight, rainfall (or lack thereof), cloud cover, wind and other
    factors all play a part in how much watering is needed.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

"Early in season, I meant to say: Water twice per day, I water Monday and Thursday."

Bit confusing. Also, EARLY IN THE SEASON it is normally not so warm and soil won't get dry as fast. Why then water more often?

About 5 days ago we hade about 2" within 48 hours and it had been partly sunny. I checker my garden and it is more than enough moist. Some of my plants look a bit pale. That tells me they've had too much water.

In normal summer days I water once a week, real deep. a 2" of rain is equivalent for one watering for tomato plants.
    JMO

• monet_g
    10 years ago

I tend to agree with seysonn and water deeply once a week. Maybe every five days in the heat of the summer. I do have a heavy layer of cut grass mulch over the roots, though.

I put the hose at the base of the plant and let it trickle for 10 to 20 minutes. Too much water makes for watery tomatoes which lessens the intensity of the flavor.

• cablestarman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have 2 different kinds of moisture meters - 1 dial one and a digital. Just don't seem accurate to me, they seem to always read moist. Maybe I'm just using them wrong? The old manual method is probably the best - I have all these useless gadgets lying around. How deep should I dig down to check moisture in the soil or could I use a stick instead?

Dave

• qaguy
    10 years ago

A few inches should do the trick. Many times the surface
    will be dry but not deeper down. Don't forget, tomato
    roots can go down 3 feet deep or more.

• qaguy
    10 years ago

A few inches should do the trick. Many times the surface
    will be dry but not deeper down. Don't forget, tomato
    roots can go down 3 feet deep or more.

• Bets
    10 years ago

GardenWebber sprouts_honor (Jennifer from Cleveland) had a wonderful suggestion on how to tell whether or not you need to water your tomatoes, and I quote here: "Get a wooden dowel rod (or two) and sink it in the ground near a plant or two and leave it. Pull it out when you think you need to water. If the top is dry and the bottom is a little damp, it's time to water. If it looks dark and feels saturated, wait to water. I use this technique with potted plants that don't like being over watered and it's helpful with in ground plants too."

Betsy