Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danjohnsonis

indeterminate tomatoes in containers and soil mix

DanJohnsonIs
10 years ago

I've been trying my hand at growing tomatoes in containers in for a couple of summers now. I've not had much luck to say the least. Honestly I just grabbed some plants and potting mix and a couple of 5 gallon buckets and had at it.

This year I decided to try and look for some pointers and actually get a good harvest. However I did some of the same things that I've done in years past.

I just learned the difference between determinate indeterminate tomatoes. I've already bought my plants so they are what I have to go with. I have two early girls, one Mr stripey and one super sweet 100. I also have one burpless bush cucumber.

I used an 18 gallon container to mix up a small bag of perlite (8 quarts maybe) 3 gallons of soil left over from last year and 4 bags of organic manure and humus. As I read further and learned of Al's mix I'm worried that what I have may not be good enough for containers. However I must use what I already have on hand.

I have decided however to grow my mr stripey in a 18 gallon container. I was wondering if I can put my two early girls in my other 18 gallon container or would that be asking too much of that container?

The picture I'm sending is what the soil mix in the 18 gallon container looks like.

Comments (12)

• DanJohnsonIs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also have a 4lb bag of tomato-tone. Here is a picture of the 18 gallon container that I have two of.

• mckenziek
    10 years ago

You might consider posting in the container gardening forum. I think 18 gallons is enough for one tomato plant. This is not based on my experience, but just reading on the internet.

Do you have holes in the bottom of your containers? They do need to drain.

--McKenzie

• DanJohnsonIs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I do have holes. When I'm ready to get the plants in I will cover said holes with coffee filters. I will check the container forums. This was my first post and didn't notice the container forum.

I'll post over there.

Thanks.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

I have used these same containers with great results. I drilled so many half inch holes in the bottom that it looked like Swiss cheese, and the roots grew through into the ground. I haven't grown Mr Stripey, but I'd consider giving the Super Sweet 100 one of the big buckets, especially if 5 gallon buckets are the alternative. It will be a big plant and will benefit from more root space.

You could do two early girls, but keep up with the watering and fertilizing. More importantly, have a plan for foliage disease, as close spacing will decrease air circulation and encourage fungus.

No clue about the texture of your mix...but it would be much better to get it more or less right instead of seeing your plants languish and wondering if their roots are rotting. When you say much of it is left over soil, do you mean potting mix or garden soil? Yay if the former, boo if the latter. :)

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Oh, and are you sure that's only 18 gallons? Looks much bigger to me...

• DanJohnsonIs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I checked and they are indeed labeled 18 gallons. I don't have many holes in the bottom. Right now I have 5 1/4in holes but do plan on adding more.

These will not have chance to grow into the ground as they will be sitting on a concrete driveway. I live in a townhouse community and we can't plant into the ground. Theses will also be moved into a garage during the evening and inclimate weather.

I do want to get my mix right which is why I'masking for advice. I just need to use what's on hand and I have read about people using manure and humus with peat and perlite in containers.

The only bit that was left over was 3 gallons of miracle-gro potting mix left over from last summer. I then mixed that with 4 40lb bags of manure and humus and a small bag of perlite that I think was 8 quarts. That's all mixed up in that orange container in the pic. Beside what's already mixed I have a 2.2 cubic foot bag of peat and 6 bags of manure and humus.

I only have two of the 18 gallon container but might be able to get another. I got them at Walmart and were originally used as toy boxes. It all depends on how much more I need to spend to improve the mix I have on hand. I do know that I need to hurry as my plants need to get out of the biodegradable containers that they are in.

• sue_ct
    10 years ago

I am not tremendously experienced with growing tomatoes in containers, but I have done it successfully. It doesn't sound to me like you have enough of the potting soil and too much of the other stuff, but hopefully others who maybe mix their own will respond. Your post is a little confusing because you ask for advise but say you have to use only what you already have. So if anyone thinks the mix is missing important components not on your list and you are limiting it only what you already have how would they respond? Several people here have grown extensively in containers, so hopefully someone will have advise that is within your constraints of materials.

• sue_ct
    10 years ago

Another thought. If your materials constraint is related to cost, my mother has actually gotten items for free from places like home depot. She goes when it is slow and asked about any broken or ripped bags and if they would be throwing them out and could she have them. She was given several damaged bags of material for free. Some places might give them to you at a substantial discount. Just bring duck tape, trash bags or other containers to hold them until you get them home so they don't get all over your car.

• sharonrossy
    10 years ago

I grow mostly in containers. The soil you are referring too should be peat based, not soil. You may need to add additional container mix, and for sure add dolomitic lime and a slow release fertilizer. 18 gallon containers would not be big enough for two plants unless they were the dwarf variety. You should check out the container forum.
    Sharon

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Yeah, I will defer to the super experts in the container forum about the mix, but I'll just add that when I started doing tomatoes in containers, I still followed the old "put rocks or gravel in the bottom' tip. You probably already know better than I did, but be sure you don't do it. :)

• DanJohnsonIs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sue_ct

What I mean is that I must use what's on hand but I can spend a few more dollars to amend what I have. I have very little soil in the mix. About 3 gallons of potting mix that was left over from last year I have posted over in the container forum and I'm about to go check the new posts.

Thanks

• sjetski
    10 years ago

If it's true potting mix, then there's probably little soil in it to begin with. Certain bagged cow manures can be heavy and dense, but i've had excellent luck using it in containers in the past, plants were darn huge with loads of fruit, no root rot etc.

Going by the dirt in your first pic, it certainly wouldn't hurt to add another 3 or 4 quarts of perlite, and a percentage of peat (peat bales are cheap) Whatever leftovers you have can be thrown into a plastic bag and saved for next year.

Those big plastic tubs with rope handles are great btw. Big Lots carries them for only $5. Most other places charge between $7~$10 for them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Big Lots Store Locator