Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summer_squash

Tomato Supports Cheap

Summer_Squash
9 years ago

I am looking to add two raised beds, buy a lot of non-GMO organic seeds, and buy about 60 pots for under $500. So far, the search is actually going pretty good. I'm up to nearly $480 though... Note that I could go over $500 with little difficulty. This is just a boundary I have set for myself so I don't end up converting my entire 1/2 acre backyard into a garden paradise, by which I mean hundreds of Home Depot pails filled with okra and eggplants.

At this juncture, I have planned for everything except tomato stakes.

I have 7 tomato cages, as of yet. I plan to have 40 tomato plants next year. Actually 36, but the tomatillos are included in this as of now. I plan to put 20 in the ground, but the rest are going in 10 gal. pots. As I understand, stakes are the cheapest way (buy some 2x1 poles and tie tomatoes to them) but they are also, as I hear, terrible. Just terrible.

I am having trouble finding livestock panels that are cheap, and work for pots... most look like they would be fine if I was ground growing tomatoes, which I am somewhat, but would barely come up 3 feet past a pot. 4/10 of the varieties I am growing are determinate, so I don't think that will work. Tomato cages are $7ish dollars, so I really don't want to be buying 33 of those.

Any suggestions are appreciated greatly. Have a charmed day.

Comments (13)

• Weicker
    9 years ago

Bamboo, coppiced tree, or ripped wood teepee cages for the pots maybe? Put the stakes deep in the pots prior to planting, tie the tops, then tie string to make a cage of sorts to support your laterals?

It's too early for me to earnestly recommend this method, but i've done it with a few of my pots for the first time this year using saplings and coppiced trees I cut from my property. Time will tell whether it is sufficient or not.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Some T posts and a big ball of twine and make a Florida weave.

Dave

PS: all tomato seeds, just as with all common garden vegetable seeds except corn, are "non-GMO" so that term isn't really relevant but can cause confusion.

• Summer_Squash
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both for your fabulous suggestions!

Dave, sorry, perhaps I should have been more clear. You are correct in saying that most garden veggies are not GMO, however 70% are controlled by GMO companies, which I try not to support. I feel better buying from companies who are against GMOs.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Bamboo is ok for peppers, eggplants but it is not sturdy enough for tomatoes.

• lucillle
    9 years ago

A roll of concrete reinforcing wire will make about 24 cages. It is over your budget at $120/roll but the cages once made are sturdy and last many years.
    I have 7 CRW cages and they work well. They didn't take that long to make either. I used the CRW panels not the roll, 2 panels per cage so they were a little more expensive.

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

I have some tall upright posts with horizontals attached and I use the greenhouse method of stringing up my tomatoes.

The lumber was not expensive and can be re-used.

Linda

• ryseryse_2004
    9 years ago

The 4'X8' sheets of concrete wire are easier to work with and you will save lots of money if you only need a few cages. Also, they last forever.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

To the best of my knowledge. they have 4' by 7' ( 48" by 84" ?) CRW. It cost $7.20 plus tax at HD (~=$8). You can make just one cage out of it. The price is not that bad but it require a lot tough handling and working with it.

This post was edited by seysonn on Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 10:06

• muscadines978
    9 years ago

I always use 5/4"decking which is 12' long costing less than $7 at Lowes. I cut it in half getting 6' pieces, then I rip the boards length wise. This way I get 10 true 1"x1" stakes for less than $7. Then I get the green plastic stretch tape to tie the tomatoes to the wooden stakes.

Hans

Here is a link that might be useful: Muscadines And More

• fireduck
    9 years ago

agreeing with sey again....but, I actually lash my CRW panels onto two 8' t stakes with zip ties (wire spans the posts). It has worked out really well. Since I grow in containers...I start my wire at about 18-24 inches above the top of the pot. So, basically I have support 2-6 feet above the plant.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Posted by Muscadines978 none (MuscadinesAndMore@Gmail.com) on
    Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 4:01

I always use 5/4"decking which is 12' long costing less than $7 at Lowes.
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    Good choice .
    I have done that too. I Also get 2" x 4" cedar 12' length. I can get 6 stakes out of this one Sturdier than decking stuff. Recently I got some e that stuff @ 70% off at clearance.
    To dive it into ground I cut one end into "V" shape, then make a hole with a REBAR and then drive it down easily.

• yardenman
    9 years ago

I tried many staking and twine systems when I started. But concrete remesh cages are the way to go. I tried them once 20 years ago and never looked back. And they are all still working just great.

• anniegolden
    9 years ago

I use cut up old t-shirt strips to tie the vines to the supports. They're gentle on the budget (free) and gentle on the plants (stretchy and soft), and gentle on the environment (recycled cotton, not plastic or whatever). Cut 2 inches wide and 10 inches long and you can get 30 or so ties from one shirt.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County