Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryanc95

What do Epson Salts do for Tomato plants?

RyanC95
9 years ago

Do you have to be precise with the salt or will a little too much kill the plants. What does the salts do to help the tomato plant in the first place.

Comments (4)

• Bets
    9 years ago

A Washington State University Puyallup Research and Extension Center document about Epsom salt myths that in part states "There are two reports from over 60 years ago on tomato production. When tomatoes are grown on magnesium deficient soil, a foliar application of Epsom salts can relieve magnesium deficiency in tomato plants; no effect on yield was reported. An automatic application of Epsom salts to plants or soils that are not magnesium deficient is a poor management strategy that can injure the plants and contaminate the soil."

A soil test is always a good idea before adding any amendments to soil. (Except good clean compost.)

I hope that helps.

Betsy

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

Agree with what Bet's posted.

I have no idea why so many folks want to use Epsom Salts, magnesium sulfate, unless they do know that their soil is deficient in MG++.

Mg++ is also the central part of the chlorophyll molecule, but few are the soils that are Mg++ deficient.

Years ago I know that some of the cities in FL, for instance, used to spray their Palm trees with Epsom salts to green them up before the tourists arrived for the winter. ( smile)

Carolyn

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Agree with both the above. I use it because my soil consistently tests as Mg deficient because of its high pH but when it isn't needed, it isn't needed.

Some will claim it has other benefits but none of them has been research-documented. But yes, if you choose to use it then it needs to be used with some care. Not truly a "salt" but it can have similar effects when used in excess. The commonly seen recommendation for it is 1 T per gallon used as a root drench.

Dave

• djkj
    9 years ago

Hey Ryan - Do note that Epsom Salt also contains Sulfur. According to a research at University Of Florida, adding Sulfur to soil yield more tomatoes.

Plants such as tomatoes, peppers, and roses need high levels of magnesium for optimal growth. However, plants may not show the effects of magnesium deficiency until it's severe. Magnesium tends to be lacking in old, weathered soils with low pH, notably in the Southeast and Pacific Northwest.

Sulfur, a key element in plant growth, is critical to production of vitamins, amino acids (therefore protein), and enzymes.

Its proven that plants can absorb salts via foliar application (leaves/stems) which is why Weed Killers like Roundup work. My opinion is that Epsom salts when used as a foliar spray make these elements readily available to the plants.

I find adding Epsom Salts at least twice a season to boost yields. I use 2 tbsp per 2 gallon of water in a watering can and drench the leaves, stems and roots. Whether to believe it or not and use it is up to you. This is what makes gardening fun is that you should do what works for you and it doesn't hurt to try! Good luck!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sulfur boosts tomato yields

This post was edited by djkj on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 17:02