Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cb_garden

can't find the post about tomatoes branches touching the hips?

cb-garden
10 years ago

My big boy tomatoes branches are turning downwards like they are touching their hips. They are not very full I had removed some suckers a few weeks ago and have not done it since. They have a few small tomatoes on them but not to many blooms. Is there a reason that the branch are touching like this are they lacking something or am i just being over protective.

Comments (16)

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    10 years ago

What do you mean by touching their hips? Could you possibly post a picture?

• cb-garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Its literally like the branches are arms and they are planting their hands (leaves) on their hips. Think of you wife standing there hands on hips and tapping her toe when your kids get busted doing something wrong. Ill try and post a pic tomorrow.

• xFozzyx
    10 years ago

You really should post a picture. with out seeing the plant it could be any number of things.

what are you fertilizing with? are the leafs deficient in something? Any yellowing? or are the tips burning or browning?

What is the plant growing in? (could be a PH issue?)

is the plant wilting?

& removing suckers will not be the cause.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Sounds like your plants just have a little attitude...I would too if I had to grow in the crazy weather we've been dealt this year!

What are your water and light conditions like? Could they be sitting in soggy soil?

• cb-garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic

• cb-garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic2

• cb-garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic3

• garystpaul
    10 years ago

CB, I've been following this thread because some of my plants are exhibiting the same symptom (if that's what it is): down-pointing petioles (leaf stems), something like a divining rod, especially on the lower part of the plant. Perhaps we'll get some helpful responses here. In general, your plants look pretty healthy.

Gary

• jadie88
    10 years ago

When the lateral leaders "suckers" develop between the leaf branches and the main stem, the leaf branches' orientation is shifted down by the new growth. Doesn't look like a problem to me.

• cb-garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Im a worry wort. Lol

• drewbym
    10 years ago

When the new laterals (suckers) come on they tend to push the old leaf/branches downward. It's pretty normal. Your plants look healthy to me. Do I see some tiny tomato plants just underneath the big ones in pic 2?

• cb-garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Naw drew those are a weed that grow around here everywhere.

• drewbym
    10 years ago

Is that rag weed?

• tomahtohs
    10 years ago

Hey, I've had this happen to me a lot this season. Some of my plant's leaf branches are pointing almost straight down! The lateral branches push the leaves downwards sometimes, but it also seems, on closer inspection, that the leaves bend down on their own when the plant matures.

After the plants are set out in their final locations and their stalk thickens, it seems that the lower leaf stalks also thicken at the base, pushing the angle of the leaf down. Not sure why it's happening more this season than others, but those were my observations so far...

• northernmn
    10 years ago

I have the same thing happening here in northern MN.

It is much more pronounced this year than previous years. It is also happening on all of my varieties.(5)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

What you call "Branches touching hips" ate NOT branches. They are LEAVES. Tomato has so-called COMPUND leaves. Some of the can get quite long. So those leaves ten to CASCADE.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional