Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
did I wait too long to transplant my Sungold seedlings?

Posted by Need2SeeGreen Los Angeles/hot!! (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 22:02

Hello all!

I am trying (again) to grow tomatoes.

I have several little Sun Gold seedlings that I grew myself. With life getting a little hectic, I haven't gotten them into the nice big pots yet. They are about 8 or 9" tall and already have blooms on them. (I think it has been too hot on my balcony, which is enclosed and gets very hot, so I will be double-potting or maybe using bubble wrap around them - my original plan was to use 5 gallon pot, but from what I read here and elsewhere, now I'm thinking 15 gallon, which means I can't double pot..., I'm not sure yet, but I know the heat will be an issue. Suggestions appreciated...)

Do you think they will still be okay, or did I wait too long to transplant and now they won't be healthy?

I have looked at several of your threads, including this one: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg051852232557.html , but it didn't talk specifically about what to do if your seedling is already trying to make tomatoes even though it is very small.

Is that normal for a young plant to try to fruit? I know it's indeterminate but still it seems early to me.

Your help is appreciated. I really really like this website, there is a lot of great experience here!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: did I wait too long to transplant my Sungold seedlings?

This year I have had a lot of my plants flower early, not sure if it is because of the early heat. If your plants still look alive, just plant them as deep as possible, and remove all of the blooms for now. Maybe give a little miracle grow spray also. They should green up and start growing like crazy.

I just stuck some of my sad looking last few seedings in the grown last weekend and they are already spitting out new nice green growth.

o
RE: did I wait too long to transplant my Sungold seedlings?

Hello again:

If anyone gets a chance, please look at these, I could really use some input: https://plus.google.com/photos/104467923746994449105/albums/5764068270189716033?authkey=CImBooiXyoti

The first one is the one I got into a big pot. It's been in there for about 2 weeks. It has not grown much, except for some underground leaves that I didn't cut off right before I buried it pretty good. I took those off a day or two ago. The other mistake I made was I didn't spread out the already-boundish roots very much. Two rookie errors so far...

My question is: should I leave it in there, or take it out and plant another seed, or try to make a clone? The plants that went into big pots at my friend's house -- same litter, but she's near the coast so it's not blistering hot -- grew ginormously as soon as they got some space, but mine isn't. Otoh, the leaves on my little plant are very nice and green and sturdy, *except* for the curled ones at the top. I guess the energy went into the underground leaves that I didn't cut off well enough. What do people think, up or down on this plant?

My second question is: as for the seedlings still in the too small pots, are they goners? Should I clone? Would they still grow if I got them in a big pot?

I've been reading lots of things in this Tomatoes forum, which is great!!!, but it's so much info all at once that I get a bit lost.

I live in LA, and I think someone said if it got too hot, which it will soon, then my Sungolds will be unhappy?, so that makes me reluctant to start all over with new seeds/clones. But I will if I have to.

Your input is appreciated!! I love this website.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here