Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fungicides = Tough Skin?

Posted by ncrealestateguy (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 22:03

I swear that spraying fungicides on tomatoes causes the skin to thicken and toughen.
Any scientific proof or incidental experience to support this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fungicides = Tough Skin?

The 3 primary causes of tough skin on tomatoes is under- watering, the variety genetics, and high temps. Guess which is the primary contributing factor - under-watering.

Spraying fungicides? I regularly apply Daconil on many different varieties and have for several years. But other than the normal varietal differences I've not noted any changes in skin texture or thickness.

Recommend you only spray (true for any sprays) in early AM and never in the direct sun or heat of the day.

Dave

o

Agree completely with Dave.

The one variety I will always remember as having tough skins is Roi (king) Humberto, a pre-1800 variety and it isn't b'c it's a pre-1800 variety either, it's just an example of genetics, as Dave mentioned above.

I don't remember any tough skins as being associated with spraying anti-fungals or even sprays used for bacterial foliage diseases.

Carolyn

o

Thanks... my Rutgers really have tough skins this year... and it is my first year with having a drip system... go figure.

o

My elderly nursery owner friend said strong afternoon sun will toughen eggplant skin in this area. Maybe tomato too?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here