Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
zone 5B

Posted by archoo16 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 22:12

Hi. I sowed some seeds from a grocery store roma tomato in first week of april, thinned them to 4 plants , 2 in 1 gallon pots and 2 in 3 gallon pots. of the 4 plants, 1 has exceeded my expectations. It flowered in 53 days. Now its has almost 17 trusses each with an average of 6 flowers. I did not prune or cage. the first fruit is almost grocery store size and green, so it might get a little bigger. the other greenies look beautiful. The plant itself is 23 inches tall. :-D Its perfect for my balcony garden. I want to know what should I look for when collecting seeds? the other plant are doing relatively well, the other one in 3 gallon pot had some blossom end rot problem after sudden shower, but much better now. My awesome plant just enjoyed the showers and opened more blooms. I am in love with it. By the way I have been self pollinating the flowers assiduously. I cant prevent other factors, but chances are more that they were self pollinated. Now, what should I look for in the fruits I collect for seeds? Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: zone 5B

Biggest and healthiest

o

Most grocery store roma's are commercial hybrids so if you do save seeds you probably won't get the same romas again when you sow those saved seeds next year.

Saved seeds from hybrids, any hybrids, don't come true from saved seeds.

But no harm in doing it to see what you do get.

Carolyn

o

The $2 needed to buy seeds is well worth the investment. Grocery store varieties are developed for commercial farming conditions (high chemicals and water) and to produce uniform looking fruit. There is no regard for taste in the breeding.

o

Thanks guys. But I am really doing this just for fun. We are allowed 3 pots in our apartments and I have over 20 1-3 gallon pots and many tiny herb pots (translated yogurt containers). I dunno when they are going to be tossed out. Besides this is kind a fun, not knowing what's going to show up. hehehe! may be some day I might end up with frankestomato :-D. Thanks dickiefickle, biggest and healthiest it is!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here